Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anybody quilted a quilt with coats machine embroidery thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anybody-quilted-quilt-coats-machine-embroidery-thread-t304264.html)

Vanna 04-19-2019 09:11 PM

Anybody quilted a quilt with coats machine embroidery thread?

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone, I’ve got a lady wanting me to use this thread for her quilt, I’ve tried quilting it two times already and have had to seam rip it, I thought it was my sewing machine, but I’m wondering if it could be the thread, I normally use Cotten thread, but the lady bought this thread, and told me she wanted me to use it, for her quilt. what do I do, I’m thinking of asking her if I can use another thread, but she wants it for the color, I’ve also noticed that the thread is rough feeling, and she ordered the quilt for her granddaughter, who I think is 5 or 6, I don’t want to disappoint her, I know the lady personally, she’s ordered from my several times over the years, any suggestions? Is there a Cotten thread that looks like this thread? This one is gold and shiny, [ATTACH=CONFIG]611815[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]611816[/ATTACH]

JanieW 04-20-2019 05:19 AM

What’s the weight of the thread? What size needle are you using? You need to have the right size needle for the weight of your thread.

nativetexan 04-20-2019 06:29 AM

perhaps a poly thread could be found in that color.

Barb in Louisiana 04-20-2019 06:44 AM

Glide has several pretty gold colors. It isn't a cotton, it is a Trilobal polyester. I love it for quilting. https://www.etsy.com/listing/4940311...a8978e8bad3282

Edited to add: That isn't Glide's only Gold thread, there are others. Just Google
Glide Gold color thread for quilting
There are many options out there.

QuiltE 04-20-2019 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by JanieW (Post 8242790)
What’s the weight of the thread? What size needle are you using? You need to have the right size needle for the weight of your thread.

ditto .... along with
* what type of needle are you using? you need the right type to match the thread
* tension ... at first glance, to me it looks as though the tension is not set right.

Good Luck!

dunster 04-20-2019 07:59 AM

I think that the thread you're using is a trilobal poly thread. I haven't used that brand, but I do use that type of thread all the time. It looks like your tension needs to be adjusted. If the picture is of the back side of quilt, tighten the top tension quite a bit.

quilterpurpledog 04-20-2019 09:48 AM

I have some of that kind of thread. Notice that it says (embroidery). It is not for quilting. I have also used a gold thread from Superior Threads. The weight I used was 40 and it was King Tut. It worked very well and looked beautiful. I cannot help but think your customer wants the color she supplied. She may not understand the characteristics of various threads. I think you need to be honest with her and/or show her samples of quilting with various threads. If you know that this will not work properly, why continue and have a poor finish. Speak up.

dunster 04-20-2019 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by quilterpurpledog (Post 8242952)
I have some of that kind of thread. Notice that it says (embroidery). It is not for quilting. I have also used a gold thread from Superior Threads. The weight I used was 40 and it was King Tut. It worked very well and looked beautiful. I cannot help but think your customer wants the color she supplied. She may not understand the characteristics of various threads. I think you need to be honest with her and/or show her samples of quilting with various threads. If you know that this will not work properly, why continue and have a poor finish. Speak up.

Machine embroidery threads are used all the time for quilting in both longarms and domestic machines. That appears to be the type of thread you have.

feline fanatic 04-20-2019 10:48 AM

I agree with Dunster, the picture you are showing is a tension problem not a thread problem. I looked it up on line and it is indeed a trilobal polyester thread but nothing on line told me what weight it was. Usually (but not always) trilobal polyester embroidery threads are a 40 wt. I use trilobal poly thread meant for embroidery in my LA all the time and don't have any issues. I think you need to tweak your tension considerably. Inspect your bobbin case thoroughly, if you normally use cotton you could have a blob of lint stuck in the tension spring of your bobbin.

As Dunster said, if what you posted is the back of the quilt the bobbin tension is much tighter than the top right now. So, once you check your bobbin tension spring to ensure it is free of lint, you need to either loosen your bobbin or tighten your top tension. But be forewarned, not all trilobal poly's are created equal. Some are much weaker than others so if you tighten the top and then start experiencing breakage you need to go the other way and loosen the bobbin so you can accomadate the thread running through the top running at a looser tension setting. Here is a diagram that should help you. https://www.superiorthreads.com/education/how-tension-works

Vanna 04-20-2019 12:38 PM

Thank you everyone, I’ll let you know how is turns out