Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone bought a new viking (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-bought-new-viking-t5577.html)

Knot Sew 03-25-2008 12:08 PM

I am sewing machine shopping.......does Viking have a machine for around 300 or 350 that is good

Rose Marie 03-25-2008 01:23 PM

I dont know anything about the cheaper machines. I bought one at Joanns for 1100 that has a 10 inch throat, stay stitch, needle down and many other features.
I bought it there because it is so accessable, and the sales girls are always around for info.
The only problem Ive had with it is the 1/4 inch foot dosnt cover the feed dogs so it was jurking to the right. When I asked they told me to get an edging foot and adjust the needle for 1/4 in, that solved the problem.
I know they sale cheaper machines and even carry other brands. I really like that it is so handy to ask questions and get parts.

Knot Sew 03-25-2008 01:48 PM

My Joanns only sells white and singer and only carries a total 4 models My income is SS........I am buying what I can afford. I do love quilting and need a few more feautures than i have on my old machines. You are very fortunate to have so much extra money that you can buy the best and not just a "cheap one" :twisted:

Rose Marie 03-25-2008 01:56 PM

Guiss all Joanns are not the same. They just opened mine about a yr ago.
They specialize in H. Viking. They have lots of sales as low as 199.

Rose Marie 03-25-2008 02:00 PM

I bought a Brother at an outlet for 129. It was for quilting so came with a walking foot and table. but it just dosnt have what I really needed, needle down and stay stiche.
I am not married and live on SS and a small retirement from the County I worked for. So I dont have a large income. I made payment for my Viking and just got it paid off.

Moonpi 03-25-2008 02:38 PM

The regular price of my Sears 19-901 is $299. It does lots of stitches for regular sewing, heirloom sewing, and quilting. With a good Xmas sale, and extra 10% off for shopping early, I got it for $239. I did, however, have to pay another $25 for quilting feet. I comparison shopped for three days solid within a 40 mile radius of my home. So far, I love it.

Things I like about it:
Needle stop position adjusts to stay up or down.
Tacks in place just by pressing button
When I try to sew zig-zag without a zigzag foot, it beeps and flashes the light instead of breaking the needle or parts.
The foot pedal is metal
Super-easy to make adjustments for width, fancy stitches, and length

Things I don't like about it:
Even with pedal down, it does not sew as fast as the commercial machines I am used to.
The light is a teeny halogen bulb, plenty bright, but I have a feeling it will be pricier to replace
It does not remember stitches. If I am doing something fancy, then shut machine off, it defaults to straight stitch at startup. (More of a mild annoyance than anything. Once I realized that was how it works, I know where to stop now)

azdesertrat 03-25-2008 04:01 PM

The Vikings are good machines.I have had 2,just traded one in for the new Brother Duetta ,not becuase I didn't like the Viking,they are great!

Quilting Aggi 03-25-2008 05:35 PM

I have a Viking/Husqvarna Platnium 750 and I just love it!!!! I have my baby about 3 1/2 years now and I just looooove it!!!

serkel 03-28-2008 03:11 PM

:?: are you saying a purchase price of $300 - dollars??? I bought a Rose in 1999 and it cost $1800 - it was used!