Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-bought-olfa-cutting-mat-recently-t295731.html)

Prism99 03-24-2018 07:58 PM

Anyone bought an Olfa cutting mat recently?

I am thinking about getting a new mat for my cutting table. Although the cutting mat that came with my table is still in fine shape (after 15+ years!), I noticed recently when using my Olfa rotary mat that my rotary cutter seems much easier to use on the Olfa surface. I have to press harder on my big mat.

Anyhow, it seems like a luxury, but I am thinking of getting an Olfa mat to place on top of my existing mat. Things change so fast these days, I am wondering if the newer Olfa mats are as good as the old ones (I bought my Olfa rotary mat many years ago). I have read that the lines are better now, but that the mats themselves are thinner. Also, I have read several reviews that complained about terrible outgassing that does not stop. How long does a new mat have to be aired out to stop smelling?

I am thinking of getting the 35" x 75" with clips to hold the three pieces together, since my table is big enough. I saw in the reviews that a lot of people duct tape the backs together so they don't have to use the clips. This means the mats are not reversible?

Or should I get the 24" x 36" mat? Seems to me that would be big enough for my largest June Tailor mat.

QuiltE 03-24-2018 08:19 PM

My original mat is about 25yrs old and is an Olfa.
Definitely worn and I knew it was time to replace.
I still have it and it is on the corner of the table that I don't use so much.

So a couple of years ago, I bought a new set of 3 .... you are correct, the new mats are not as thick.
To me they are more slippery when cutting and while they are still considered "self-healing",
because they are not so thick for the blade to cut into is probably why the slippery feel.

I still don't really like the new mats, but not much I can do about that.
Whenever I ask about it in shops, I just get a blank look or stare, or shrug.
Often have been given the comment, that nothing is like it used to be. IOW get over it! :)

My new ones are three 24"x36" mats. My table is 48"x72".
The four sit still and I never used the clips that came with them, nor see the need for duct tape.

quiltedsunshine 03-24-2018 08:33 PM

The new Lori Holt mats are very nice. They are definitely thicker than the Olfa mats, and they're printed on both sides. Plus, they come in cute colors.

Sheri.a 03-24-2018 08:44 PM

I purchased the 3piece 35x75 almost 2 years ago. It fits over my dining table (the dining room is my sewing room). I have been very happy with it. I got it with a 60% off Joanne’s coupon.

I have used Olfa for years and really didn’t notice a difference.

One thing I did do was cover the screws that connect the sections with blue painters tape. The always seemed to catch on things.

Barb2018 03-25-2018 03:17 AM

I bought a 24 x 36 a couple of months ago and I'm happy with it. There was never any smell to it. It's printed on one side which is what I prefer.

pocoellie 03-25-2018 03:27 AM

Just a couple of months back, I bought the "set" of Olfa mats, because I thought I would like being able to cut longer pieces, but have found that the "clips" get in the way and the mats aren't as wide as the regular mats, as a result, I find that I rarely use them and wish I had bought a regular Olfa mat. I haven't noticed any overbearing odor.

luvstoquilt301 03-25-2018 06:21 AM

I listen to a sewing podcast and she talks about how wonderful the Havel cutting mats are.

Onebyone 03-25-2018 07:46 AM

I changed to Quilter's Select mats. I have a large Fons and Porter mat that has no lines, only measuring lines at the edges. It is one of the best I have of the green mats. I have all brands of mats and Quilter's Select is the best of the newer mats for me.

Mdegenhart 03-25-2018 02:54 PM

I have the 30x60 Martelli & it is really nice. They run periodic 1/2 price sales.

Ginaky 03-25-2018 02:58 PM

I too love the Quilter's Select mats. And I love how the numbers count both ways on them.