Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone with cheap sewing machine advice? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-cheap-sewing-machine-advice-t63785.html)

nuttyhurricane 09-10-2010 02:17 PM

All I can say is my Brother XL 3500 died. It had mainly plastic parts. I took it to my local repair shop. The guy said it was beyond repair. (Brother does not make many if any replacement parts). So make sure this one has a lot of metal moving parts. Best place to look is in the bobbin area. K

np3 09-10-2010 02:19 PM

COSTCO has a really great Brother machine for arond $150 that is called a quilter's machine. It includes the walking foot and the table extension. She LOVES it.

jayelee 09-10-2010 03:35 PM

I have a brother that came with a walking foot, a quarter inch foot, and the quilting table just over a 150 dollars.
I sometimes like it better than my two vikings I use it to teach my young neices to quilt. Really nice machine I had to buy all of these accessories separate for the vikings even after spending thousands of dollars

desertrose 09-10-2010 03:44 PM

Thank you for all the great websites and buying experience that you have shared with us not so experienced newbies.

Andie

theifner 09-10-2010 04:29 PM

I just bought one and have not tried it yet.

doggies mom 09-10-2010 05:15 PM

go for it Brother makes a great machine I have 3 brothers, and they all work great. none cost more than 150

purplefiend 09-10-2010 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mariposa
I have an older ('85) model of a lower end Singer, and it still sews great seams! This machine is a workhorse!
Hope you find one you really like! :)

I'm really suprised that your Singer still works, I bought one of the same vintage and it finally(thank God!) died after 1 1/2 years. It was trouble from day one.
I replaced it with a wonderful, no attitude Bernina 1031.
I still sew with it, had it for 18 years.

purplefiend 09-10-2010 05:25 PM

I recommend a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 or 118, they are a bit more than $150, but a much better machine that will last longer and sew better than the Wal-Mart Brother. You get dealer support + classes to teach you to use your new machine. If you're buying a new machine you need to spend $300-400 to get a decent machine.
I also collect and use antique sewing machines and they will still be here when the plastic low end machines have bit the dust. My oldest machine is a Singer 201 that 80 yrs old and still sewing wonderfully.

Woodster 09-10-2010 05:37 PM

I also have a Brother CS-100 that I bought on sale at Costco about 5 years ago. Love it.

sew wishful 09-10-2010 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I recommend a Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 or 118, they are a bit more than $150, but a much better machine that will last longer and sew better than the Wal-Mart Brother. You get dealer support + classes to teach you to use your new machine. If you're buying a new machine you need to spend $300-400 to get a decent machine.
I also collect and use antique sewing machines and they will still be here when the plastic low end machines have bit the dust. My oldest machine is a Singer 201 that 80 yrs old and still sewing wonderfully.

I bought a Janome at what I thought was a reputable dealer who promised me classes, support, etc, etc and never has contacted me since I bought it. To be honest he's probably glad to be rid of me. You see, I also purchased another cheaper machine, a sewing table and the acrylic piece that goes in the table for the machine. After 2 weeks the acrylic piece had never been ordered, so he ordered and said it would be sent directly to me. Two weeks later I still didn't have it and "it must be on back order". Two weeks later I called again and guess what. It had finally come in. To his shop, 60 miles from me! So off I went to get the piece for my table. I was not a happy camper when I walked into the shop and told him what I was after, he handed it to me, and I thanked him and walked out. I've never seen or heard from him again. I've heard another customer say he was very rude to her. What ever happened to customer service? I won't go back there for machine repair, service or another machine! But I do love my machine!!