Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else a "selfish" quilter? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-%22selfish%22-quilter-t84285.html)

sunnycat 12-21-2010 07:05 AM

I read on this board a lot about how many quilters never keep any of their quilts and give away everything they make.I have about a dozen projects planned for the future, and they're all for me! Part of the reason is that we moved into a 2000 sqf house two years ago and it's half empty. Walls call out for wall hangings, tables call out for runners, chairs crave quilts draped over their backs. Another part of the reason I'm such a selfish quilter is that I know exactly no one who would want anything homemade. In my husband's family, it's never occurred to anyone to do anything for themselves. They think it is so weird that I cook from scratch and knit and sew. Heck, they think it's weird that I clean my house instead of stacking all my stuff on the floor, letting it collect dust (hoarding tendencies run in the fam). My SIL cooks brownies out of a box and I'll have to hear her husband and my in-laws go on about how she's the homemaker and chef of the year. My family is more or less the same way. I told my mom I was going to make an apron and some placemats and she immediately ran out to buy me some "real" ones. Which is why we only give out gift cards or cash for Christmas anymore.

Am I alone in this? I won't ever be making a quilt for anyone but me.

dakotamaid 12-21-2010 07:07 AM

I only give to those who I know appreciate what I do. Much of what I do is for me or for charities. Some go to family members who say to me "I love that!".

cherylynne 12-21-2010 07:08 AM

Some of my family have expressed a "no quilt" attitude, but others really appreciate my work. Only give to those that have been proven quilt worthy.

Annaquilts 12-21-2010 07:11 AM

Wow no just the opposite. I must say the satisfaction of making a quilt for some one that likes to receive a quilt adds a large part of gratification and pleasure to quilting.

Barbm 12-21-2010 07:18 AM

I still don't have a quilt after 5 years. I have a few table runners- mostly through swaps here. Someday I will finish the french braid scrappy one I have. Probably this winter.

My problem- as more people find out about my quilting, new requests pour in. I limit them to gifts as the occasion arises. Someday I will quilt for leisure.

Right now I'm making 8 table runners for my sisters and brothers for Christmas. Have 4 done, but 3 more cut out. They will be done in time.

Oh- the dog has one- because she lays on the couch I made one from scraps and fmq her name on it.

rusty quilter 12-21-2010 07:23 AM

I make quilts for whomever I want--but only those I know will appreciate all of the time and effort they take. I do them as a surprise when I know they are having a hard time (or for new babies and great times). I also have done many for myself, and certainly won't apologize for that either! For me, it is the joy of the beautiful quilt--whether it goes or stays.

MaryStoaks 12-21-2010 07:24 AM

With 6 kids and 8 grandchildren who all ask for more quilts I almost never keep mine. I do keep the vintage tops I collect and make into quilts, they require more careful washing and I'm sure they wouldn't last at my kids' houses. Besides, I love those old fabrics.

dkabasketlady 12-21-2010 07:26 AM

I have one son that has said he doesn't want a quilt from me, but other than that I can't get them done fast enough. I still don't have one done for me and my DH. I have started a Cathedral Window, but I know it'll take years for me to get it done(it's going to be all done by hand). I love making quilts for other people!!
You could make a quilt for me, do you want my addy???? I promise to love it and cherish it!! Have fun decorating your house.

Cuilteanna 12-21-2010 07:27 AM

I've given most away, but usually either ask in advance to make sure they want one or have a group over, put out all my quilts and tell them to take what they want. Smaller things I sometimes bring to the charity shop as my wall space is very limited.

raedar63 12-21-2010 07:38 AM

I am getting more and more like this everyday,Many do not even want a handmade gift anymore and have no concept of the work that it takes.Often they think you are being cheap making something homemade,
Rae