Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else not able to quilt because of... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-not-able-quilt-because-t75129.html)

seamstome 11-08-2010 03:43 PM

Do ice massage on it 4-6 times a day.

carolaug 11-08-2010 03:54 PM

a friend of mine did acupuncture and swears by it...she could not use her arm and after 8 visits she has full range and no pain and that was three years ago.

luckylindy333 11-08-2010 04:22 PM

I had that one time, just from using the computer mouse at work and got a band with Velcro that was about one and a half inches wide. It goes just below your elbow. I wore that for a few weeks and it went away and have not had it again. I hope this helps! I can't imagine not being able to make quilts with my trusty rotary cutter.

dsb38327 11-08-2010 04:32 PM

Truth, I promise, I hold my cell phone in my left hand. When I am on a call for a length of time I start feeling my elbow talk to me. I try to remember to change hands from time to time if I can't end the call. When I don't change hands I will have the ache for days. Lifting and tugging when I am quilting also sets me off. I have had great success with a product called 'blue goo'. Walmart sells it in their pharmacy section. Wishing you the best.

QuiltswithConvicts 11-08-2010 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
I had that one time, just from using the computer mouse at work and got a band with Velcro that was about one and a half inches wide. It goes just below your elbow. I wore that for a few weeks and it went away and have not had it again. I hope this helps! I can't imagine not being able to make quilts with my trusty rotary cutter.

This worked for me, too. I kept on using the band for several years everytime I did anything that involved over-using my left arm - I'm right handed.

Tried something like it when I hurt my knee, but a dislocated knee needed more than a tight band. Then dislocated the other one a year later. I have very loose ligaments and tendons - not a good thing.

Also try hot soaks at the end of the day - very relaxing.

sewingladydi 11-08-2010 05:10 PM

The ice worked for me.

Jingle 11-08-2010 06:17 PM

I have more trouble with my left hand than anything. I think spreading my hand to hold the ruler and to hold the fabric sandwich to smooth it out while FMQ is causing it. Right now a few hours of rest helps. Oh well, when it hurts too much then I will come up with another way to do things.

Spudgm 11-08-2010 06:28 PM

That is too bad, I hope you can find some way to alleviate your pain and keep quilting.

sewgull 11-08-2010 06:33 PM

Tennis elbow for 20 years never played tennis. The band with velcro works for me. I even tried a magnet along with band, also worked. Being frugle(or cheap) I used a business card magnet under the band. Rubbing with Ben-Gay or similar rub helps. Also, taking Aleve for inflamation helped me.
Notice when you use the first 2 fingers, pointer and index fingers, these are the ones that create the pain.

farmer623 11-09-2010 03:29 AM

I had it in both elbows and was miserable, went through a round of steroids, and it went gradually went away. I think it was due to the osteoporosis I have, that my bones were shrinking, but the tendons were not. I've had no trouble since I went on osteoporosis drugs, knock on wood.