Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-obsessed-sampler-quilts-t120447.html)

Boscobd 05-02-2011 09:15 PM

Is anyone else obsessed with Sampler Quilts, or am I the only one? I purchased a Prairie Sampler quilt kit at a local quilt show in January and am currently working on it.
In the mean time, I stumbled across "The Farmer's Wife" sampler book which I purchased and am planning on making 100 of the 111 blocks (there are 11 that I just don't care for).
Then, last week I stumbled across "The General's Wives" BOM from The Fat Quarter Shop that I have fallen in love with. I have decided to do my own version of that quilt.
So, how many traditional sampler quilts does one person actually need??!! I have discovered that I have loads of yardage (as well as fat quarters and scraps) of this "era" fabric. Seems as tho I am drawn to these fabrics, so I might as well just go with it - until the middle of summer comes along and holiday quilts start calling me! (that's my other obsession - Christmas fabric!).
Argh - too many quilt ideas and too little time!! :lol:

Quiltforme 05-02-2011 09:32 PM

The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation. I love these quilts they are so fun to look at and make!

Boscobd 05-02-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation. I love these quilts they are so fun to look at and make!

I agree! I'm using my "obsession" to really concentrate on point and seam matching. It's really kind of fun as each block is different so I don't get "bored" with making several copies of the same block!

ckcowl 05-03-2011 01:13 AM

i also LOVE sampler quilts- mostly i think because i hate making more than one of any block at a time- to sit and make the same block over and over drives me CRAZY,,, so samplers are the perfect solution for me- a different block each time i sit down to sew...OH YEA!
plus it gives you a great opportunity to learn and improve new skills...one block at a time...

Shelbie 05-03-2011 02:42 AM

You need to make what you especially like. Right now I'm liking simple geometric patterns so that's what I am making. Sampler quilts have so much variety and so many possibilities that you'll never run out of new quilt ideas.

thequilterslink 05-03-2011 02:47 AM

I am making a log cabin sampler right now, got all the logs done and 4 of the sampler so far, 8 more to go

patchsamkim 05-03-2011 02:56 AM

My second quilt was a sampler quilt, and I have made several samplers since..... have another set of blocks to put together, and then have a few other patterns for samplers that I would like to make. I love making the different blocks, instead of the same block over and over, and love scrappy quilts, so samplers are more fun to make.

MTS 05-03-2011 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltforme
The sampler quilts started as a way for the experienced quilters years ago to show off their blocks they have perfected as a way to pass down to the next generation.

Interesting. Especially as most shops now use them as an initiation for beginners. ;-)

redturtle 05-03-2011 04:27 AM

count me in...

i enjoy making different blocks...keeps my attention more...altho if there is one i need to improve on i will make it several times over...

i make them out of different colors/patterns too...so when i have enuf to make a complete quilt it is definitely a scrapy-like one lol

sueisallaboutquilts 05-03-2011 04:32 AM

My first quilt was a sampler and the class was awesome. I learned so much!!! Got me instantly addicted :D:D