Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone else ok with "good enough" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-else-ok-%22good-enough%22-t71424.html)

LastGrandma 10-21-2010 07:50 AM

There are many reason for "good enough". I just sent off another Quilts for Kids Downy Quilt...and it was good enough. I was late getting started due to family visit and then got the latest virus going around...and yeah, I had to rush through it so that I was less than a week late in getting it done. And even so I am happy with the results...just know I wanted to and could do better.

dglvr 10-21-2010 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
To quote my Mom:

"Perfection is impossible.
However, excellence is attainable."

If you are okay with what you are doing, why should anyone else care one way or another?

Yes, I will settle for "good enough" - it may or may not be someone else's "good enough."

A lot depends on one's skill level and experience. I look back at some of my first sewing projects - and I was so proud of them - and see areas where I could "do it better" now - and I'm going to leave them just as they are as a tribute to the "me, then" person.

What is "Good Enough" also depends on what one wants to do! and who it's for!

Well said bearisgray.

laughingquilter 10-21-2010 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
What looks *okay* to us, usually looks perfect to the recipient. So yes, unless it's a major disaster, *okay* is good with me!

....if my quilts had to be perfect, I'd probably want them "displayed" and not "loved to death" - I'd prefer them to be loved.....

BellaBoo 10-21-2010 08:09 AM

If it is the best I can do then it's good enough. If I know I could do better (not the same as I want to do better) I redo it.

Mattee 10-21-2010 08:12 AM

Thanks for the replies. At least I'm not alone! I actually do things like refuse to starch, just because I think it's too much of a pain in the a**. I know my work would be better if I did it, but I just don't want to bother.

Prissnboot 10-21-2010 08:14 AM

I've never been a fan of "good enough" because I'm a perfectionist. However, before ripping it out, I look at it from a distance - I don't do show quilts, my quilts are usually for gifts, so unless it's a glaring error, I subscribe to the "done is good" theory.

Kitsie 10-21-2010 08:19 AM

I like that my "good enough" is getting better! Bet yours is too!

RST 10-21-2010 08:23 AM

I've learned to choose styles and patterns of quilting that are compatible with my "good enogh" mindset. So, while I may admire someone else's Mariner's Compass quilt, it's not something I'm going to take on -- I simply don't care about carefully matching and getting points sharp.

RST

momymom 10-21-2010 08:29 AM

I don't think I've ever made a perfect quilt. Nothing matched up on my early quilts. Some times they don't now. What's important is that you are happy with your work. Most of us aren't professionals at this. We do it to please our selves, to relax, and warm the people we love. That's what's important to me.

bj 10-21-2010 08:30 AM

I'm finding my "good enough" keeps getting better with practice. Yea! Every time I make something I learn something new about making things work and go together better. I know my quilts will never be show quality, I started learning too late in life. But I like them.