Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone ever take a sewing machine on cruise? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-ever-take-sewing-machine-cruise-t271714.html)

lwbuchholz 11-02-2015 04:03 AM

My Mother took me on a river boat cruise and how I wished I had brought something to do. There was too much time on my hands and reading just didn't cover it. As someone else mentioned If you don't sew then it is no great loss. It just means your sewing machine got to go on the cruise too.
Do have fun!!
Lynda

paoberle 11-02-2015 04:25 AM

You're kidding, right? You're going on vacation with your family and you're going to take your sewing machine and sew. It's one thing to take hand projects that you can do while sitting with other people, but who is going to want to sit with you in your cabin while you sew.

Manalto 11-02-2015 04:50 AM

Would someone please explain to me why some people (I'm not mentioning any names) care and appear to want to control how others spend vacations with their families?

notmorecraft 11-02-2015 05:21 AM

I was on Alaskan cruise in June, personally I would not take sewing machine, room too small (we had balcony stateroom) light not great and desk n chair would not be good height for sewing. I did some hand sewing and cross stitch in the big library, comfortable bright and roomy.

ptquilts 11-02-2015 05:42 AM

I would take some handwork "just in case" and leave the machine at home. I don't want to be sewing in the cabin while everyone else is having fun!! I love cruises!

lisalovesquilting 11-02-2015 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by mlt150 (Post 7362083)
I have thought about all the activities, my daughter/son-in-law(no children) will probably do all the excursions together and eat dinner together. This ship has an artsy theme...painting classes etc. My art is quilting and thought while my hubby reads I can sew. Or maybe just take fabric to cut. Thought if the activities on board do not interest me, I would have a back up. I don't gamble, bake in the sun or have interest in the games they have listed for the ship. Just in the thinking stage.

You should take your machine. If you don't care for the ship's activities, the sun or reading you will need something to do. Great way to get projects finished.

quiltmaker52 11-02-2015 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft (Post 7363921)
I was on Alaskan cruise in June, personally I would not take sewing machine, room too small (we had balcony stateroom) light not great and desk n chair would not be good height for sewing. I did some hand sewing and cross stitch in the big library, comfortable bright and roomy.

I agree with notmorecraft. I cruise 4-5 times a year. Counter space in cabins is very limited and I have been in cabins from the inside to suites. I am not sure if there would even be enough room to hold the sewing machine. Lighting is terrible. I have had a hard time doing hand sewing in my cabin. Take something you can work on by hand and do it outside on the deck or in one of the common areas with good lighting. Most importantly, enjoy this time with your family. The days that we can be together are gone before you know it. Sewing will always be there.

rjwilder 11-02-2015 07:41 AM

I have been on 30+ cruises, the lighting in the cabins is not good. We usually get the junior suite or owners suite and they are bigger and brighter but still not the best light. Also, luggage is limited, I suggest you plan out the clothing and personal items first and then the fabric and sewing machine. We all have different interests, as much as I enjoy sewing I do not take a machine. I have learned to relax, enjoy the time with my hubby and family. I've done some of the on ship activities and the excursions. I didn't like all of them but I was spending quality time with my family. We met a lot of people and have remained friends and do things together besides cruises. I don't play bingo, cards, etc., at home because I'm busy sewing. I will always cherish the time I've spent doing the cruise activities and the people I've met. I feel I can tolerate anything for a few hours. Many people on cruises are bored, lonely and just need someone to socialize with. It makes me happy to listen to their stories, plus I see the delight in their eyes when they talk to me. On a cruise I feel I have all the time in the world to relax, visit and make new friends. Plus the food is good!

themachinelady 11-02-2015 08:50 AM

I am not an expert on cruises by any means, but when I did cruise, there was not enough time to "take in everything I wanted to do". And I don't spend my time gambling and shopping on the boat, too expensive, but they have all kinds of things, crafts etc. Sightseeing, even if you don't take the tours, get off the boat and walk in the ports, you would be surprised at what you see and learn. Also, if this is a family cruise, your family wants your time with them, and believe me life is short so give them some family time. If I took anything it would be handwork of some kind or a book and the ship has a library or at least when I was cruising it did. Spend the time with your family and enjoy them and if you don't want to do all the things they do, look around there are multiple activities and people to make new friends with (at least for the cruise). We met the nicest older couple and they were a ball of fun to do things with that didn't cost an arm and a leg. So enjoy your family time and do some handwork. The sewing and machine will be there long after family isn't. My two cents for the day >grin<

kyquiltlover1942 11-02-2015 08:53 AM

I always have some kind of hand sewing for cruises. Something I can take to the pool, while I "people watch". There is not enough space in a cabin unless you get a suite. and there is usually only one outlet. My hexie flower garden will be traveling through the pannama canel and ports beyond this december.