Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone ever use bamboo batting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-ever-use-bamboo-batting-t265791.html)

audsgirl 05-29-2015 08:23 PM

Anyone ever use bamboo batting?

I'm making a quilt for my sister and am using a bamboo batting. I'm finding it to be very linty. It does seem to drape nicely, and it feels soft and comfy. My sister is allergic to wool, which is my favorite batting. I thought this would be a good alternative. Anybody have any issues with bamboo?

Leslie

busy fingers 05-29-2015 08:31 PM

I have never used bamboo batting and have been warned off it by a few people.

The reason I am told is that the fibres work their way through the "holes" after quilting it.

Maybe you will be lucky and not have this problem.

I will watch with interest any comments that others make.

I have often felt it and it certainly feels lovely and soft and I can imagine that it would drape nicely.

Good luck with it.

janedee 05-29-2015 09:50 PM

I used 100% bamboo and like you found it a bit 'linty' I then tried a bamboo/cotton mix, wonderful, still the same lovely softness and drape and because I hand quilt lovely to work with, washes well, but of course no idea whether it will last as long as the more well known ones.

DOTTYMO 05-29-2015 11:18 PM

I used cotton bamboo mix. It was lovely and soft and easy to machine quilt. I saw no bleed through the stitches but who knows what will have happened in 10 years time.
i would use it again if I can find some.

stella63 05-29-2015 11:29 PM

I love my bamboo/ cotton mix. It's soft and has very little shrinkage and has 8" quilting span. I buy it by the roll as it's quite expensive to buy it one quilt size at a time here in the uk.

Sisty88 05-30-2015 12:21 AM

Another one for the bamboo/cotton mix here! I also bought a whole bolt due to uk prices! Most of my quilts have used this wadding and I've never had a problem with it coming through to the outside of the quilt.

I don't get much lint from it at all, as I was quite surprised when I used wool wadding afterwards and was getting covered in the stuff!

Knitette 05-30-2015 01:51 AM

My favourite! Although it's dearer here than Quilters Dream, I use Dream Orient for special quilts - lovely drape and haven't had an issue with bearding :)

ckcowl 05-30-2015 02:12 AM

I've used the Dream Bamboo and Dream Orient love them both! Haven't had any lint or bearding/pilling issues. Both are lightweight, drape beautifully, are a dream to work with, no lint.
(excess lint is a combination of fabric, thread and batting- some thread creates a huge amount of lint)

DogHouseMom 05-30-2015 05:00 AM

I have a quilt from cotton/bamboo blend which I had purchased very cheap at a quilt show years ago ($20 for a king size!!). I absolutely love the drape of this batting. No problem with lint, perhaps because the top and backing are both batiks?

ManiacQuilter2 05-30-2015 06:14 AM

Sorry, I have never tried any bamboo batting. I am happy with the quality of Hobbs 80/20 batting.