Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone Ever Use Muslin or a Fabric for Paper Piecing??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-ever-use-muslin-fabric-paper-piecing-t22575.html)

ProLongarmARTQUILTER 07-09-2009 07:15 PM

Was wondering Has anyone ever used Muslin or Fabric as a replacement for Paper in Paper piecing??? I bought some Old Blocks and they have muslin in them and left in the quilt block,I'm gonna try this. I do the Longarm quilting but the piecing and especially PP is a Foreign Thing to Me!!!

BlueChicken 07-09-2009 07:16 PM

I use very thin interfacing, and leave it in. It's much easier and has no effect on the finished blocks.

The most common complaint about pp is having to remove the paper, so if you can skip that part, it's a breeze! :-)

kluedesigns 07-09-2009 07:29 PM

i too prefer interfacing for foundation piecing over muslin - its lighter weight and i find the block is easier to handle. muslin can add a great deal of weight to a project.

Minda 07-10-2009 04:59 AM

You can use muslin and skip the batting.

amandasgramma 07-10-2009 06:15 AM

Question - if you use interfacing - are you saying you trace the pattern on the interfacing? I'm confused! :?:

littlehud 07-10-2009 07:17 AM

I had never heard of that method, but it would be great not to have to remove the paper.

kluedesigns 07-10-2009 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Minda

wouldn't that be a very thin quilt and then when you quilt it you won't have the variations in depth from stitching since there isn't any batting.

kluedesigns 07-10-2009 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Question - if you use interfacing - are you saying you trace the pattern on the interfacing? I'm confused! :?:

yes i would trace the pattern onto the interfacing. i actually use interfacing more for applique than i do for paper piecing - i prefer vellum over interfacing when paper piecing.

you can see thru vellum and it removes with ease.

i use the interfacing when its non-traditional quilt fabric (basically anything that isn't 100% cotton) to help stabilize the fabric and prevent stretch and distortion.

Minda 07-10-2009 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns

Originally Posted by Minda

wouldn't that be a very thin quilt and then when you quilt it you won't have the variations in depth from stitching since there isn't any batting.

It would be a very lightweight quilt. I've never done it that way, but some of the ladies in the quilt guild that I belong to make their summer quilts that way.

pittsburgpam 07-10-2009 12:01 PM

I did a BOM quilt that was almost entirely foundation piecing. The foundation is a thin muslin with the printed lines on it and it is not removed. It does make the quilt heavier so a thin batting is good with it.

Also not recommended for hand quilting, obviously. :wink: