Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone ever use WashAway Foundation Paper for PP (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-ever-use-washaway-foundation-paper-pp-t123758.html)

seweasy 05-17-2011 09:31 AM

Hi! I was given a pack to try and had a little problem with it. The paper and my printer didn't "like" each other very much! As the printer printed out a copy, it would release one than one sheet at a time. Eventually, I just loaded each sheet one at a time, luckily I only needed eight patterns so it wasn't too bad and each sheet printed out fine. Was wondering if others have had problems with their printers when they used anything but stock copier paper?
Had been printing out the patterns on 20lb copy paper, its the cheapest paper I could find and thought it would tear easily but it doesn't. I've read some posts about vellum but wasn't sure how easy it would be to remove and the other is blank newsprint paper. Thought the newsprint paper might be the same weight as the WashAway and probably have the same printing problem.
Would appreciate hearing from others. Chris

amma 05-17-2011 09:43 AM

Depending on your printer and the weight of paper, it is not uncommon to have to hand feed the sheets :wink:

Are you shortening the length of your stitches? I use regular copy paper, shorter stitches and the paper tears very easily.

By not shortening the length, the paper will be more difficult to remove. It also helps to keep the stitches from coming undone at the places where you trim the blocks :D:D:D

Painiacs 05-17-2011 10:01 AM

I used reg copy paper but like the other post said u have to use smaller stitches! I forgot at times and oh boy! At times I just went back over with smaller stitches. Good Luck!!

Short an Sweet 05-17-2011 10:05 AM

usually you have to go into your printer properties and tell it what kind of paper you are using, that should correct the paper feeding, mine has a lever beside the paper feeder so that you can adjust manually

Maggiesmom 05-17-2011 10:17 AM

I use the childrens art paper which is a lot like newsprint. It usually comes in Note pads that are 9x12. I cut them down to 8.5x 11 and run them through my printer just fine.

eastermarie 05-17-2011 10:23 AM

There is a tut on here or U Tube for using freezer paper sheets, floding them back on the line and stitching next to the fold each time. When you are through, you just peel the whole sheet off. No tear between stitches. I found the site while looking on this board a couple of weeks ago.

dakotamaid 05-17-2011 10:50 AM

I have used the wash away but be careful when you rinse to remove the paper. The residue will clog up your drain. I soak and rinse in a bucket and toss it outside in the ditch.:)

hobbykat1955 05-17-2011 11:45 AM

I have two unopened packs...I'll find a reason to open them one of these days...
Always use copy paper and like the others set my machine stitch on 1.5 or 2.0 and no problems ripping off

seweasy 05-17-2011 01:32 PM

Thanks, everyone for the comments. I'm using 1.5 stitch length but the pieces are small, some an 1" square. On the longer stitched strips, the paper comes off fairly easily but those small pieces especially those stitched on four sides are the hardest.
I'm going to go to some of the dollar stores tomorrow to see if I can find the newsprint-like paper. Using the WashAway would be too expensive for the project I'm working, and its just a wall-hanging! There was only eight sheets in the package so I thought I'd give it try. Chris

quiltmouse 05-17-2011 02:35 PM

I recently tried paper pc for the first time. It is also helpful to paint the sewing line with water using a q-tip. No idea who gave me the tip.

(feel free to identify yourself) :mrgreen: