Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is anyone familiar with the Omnigrid dbl. wedding ring rotary templates? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-familiar-omnigrid-dbl-wedding-ring-rotary-templates-t61468.html)

quiltinggranny 08-26-2010 09:24 AM

Looked for the templates mentioned in this forum for the double wedding ring templates at Joann's and the only one I could find was the Omnigrid set. It is sealed and I can't check it out so wondered if any of you have either liked or disliked it.

BRenea 08-26-2010 09:40 AM

I bought that a few years ago...unfortunately, I still haven't used it! :oops:
To many quilt ideas and not enough time!

quiltinggranny 08-26-2010 10:12 AM

How true!

jrhboxers 08-26-2010 10:48 AM

I have them and have used them and have made 6 various size quilts using them. :-D :-D They are great. Nice thick plexiglass, smooth edges. Great to work with a rotary cutter. The only suggestion is to use a 28mm or 13mm cutter, not the 45mm or 60mm. Too hard to make the curved cuts.

I know. I ended up with the end of my middle finger cut off to the tip of the bone. Went to the ER but there was nothing to stitch back. :thumbdown:

That was February 2009 and it is still extrememly tender on the tip and you can see that the finger is shorter and flatter where the cut was.

Note to self: Do not cut out with new templates and a new rotary cutting blade while watching the Daytona 500. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

quiltinggranny 08-26-2010 12:54 PM

Yours was the first response of someone having used the set -- most encouraging! Sorry about your finger but guess we all learn from our mistakes. :idea:

Kas 08-26-2010 01:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used the set when I made my inlaws and parents their 45th anniversary quilts. My mom still hasn't gotten hers because of various things that have come up. But it is now marked and ready to be sandwiched and I am only 6 years late! Here is a pic of the inlaw's double wedding ring.

Prism99 08-26-2010 01:52 PM

Kas, *love* the colors in that quilt!

Kas 08-26-2010 01:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oops! I did a double post. So I will just use this one to add more comments and another pic! I used the same colors for my parent's quilt, just used another arrangement of them. The template set is Sharlene Jorgensen's (spell?) that got sold to Omnigrid in her divorce mess.

Here is my Heather with the quilt. I picked out the colors from memory. I done good, I think!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104921[/ATTACH]

Kas 08-26-2010 02:10 PM

Thanks, Prism! On my folk's quilt it looks like it is woven. The mint is all going in the same direction and looks like it is going over the brown that is all going in the other direction because the center squares are also the mint color. Hard to describe. Maybe in another six years I will get a pic of that one! LOL!

And I would suggest the 28mm if you are cutting multiple layers of fabric. I tried with the smaller one and it wasn't tall enough to reach the bottom layers. Bummers, dude. So I had an excuse to go buy another gadget!