Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone have any ideas on what to do about removing pet fur from quilts? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-have-any-ideas-what-do-about-removing-pet-fur-quilts-t28778.html)

Mamagus 11-15-2009 03:30 PM

I see a lot of pictures of "pet approved" quilts here so I am hoping someone might have a home remedy or commercial product that works to rid quilts of dog fur.

I have been making quilts to sell this fall and I notice the fur a lot more when the quilt is going to a new home. I have a schnauzer who rarely leaves fur on anything but my dear sweet sheltie more than makes up for his brother. Finn's fur gets everywhere and sticks like glue.

Normally it doesn't bother me but when I am packaging a quilt to send somewhere I put them in the dryer and use lint brushes but I wonder if anyone out there has any better ideas???

MollieSue 11-15-2009 03:34 PM

Sounds just like here... lol!!!!
It's funny how it always shows up so much more when it's been sold!
I've always just used scotch tape, or packing tape, which is larger. lol!!

isnthatodd 11-15-2009 03:51 PM

I bought a Pledge pet hair picker-upper. It worked really well on my car upholstry, which has proven to be a problem in the past. You might try one of them.

ghostrider 11-15-2009 03:56 PM

Wow, do I ever know what you mean! My Sheltie killed three vacuum cleaners in her lifetime. :shock: That undercoat is something else!! I use one of those sticky lint rollers that is labeled for pet hair. They claim it is 50% stickier than the regular ones. Got it at the grocery store (cheap) and it works beautifilly on ultra fine cat hair.

CindyBee 11-15-2009 04:01 PM

I usually use the sticky tape rollers. It picks up cat hair really well. I'm wanting to try the Pledge too.

bebe 11-15-2009 04:17 PM

Throw them in the dryer w/ a dryer sheet and the hair comes off.
Shake a few times before throwing in dryer to loosen the hair. I have the same problem w/ pet hair :wink:

shaverg 11-15-2009 05:00 PM

I use contact paper and cut it in large sheets then just lay it on the area and rub it really well before pulling it off. It is stickier than the rollers and covers a much larger area. I use it on my sofa too. On black clothes it will get all those little pieces of lint too.

Pzazz 11-15-2009 05:07 PM

My sewing room is off limits to the cats..and the dog is an outside only dog. Thank goodness as he is a golden retriever, and leaves hair clumps in the yard...I hate to think what he would leave in the house!!!!!

However, since you are in need of a solution.....my gf has a very hairy cat that leaves hair everywhere. She has found that either the pet hair rollers, or the 2" wide packing tape works best on clothing. I would think either would work as well on a quilt. Keep us updated on what you find to work best.

Patti

littlehud 11-15-2009 05:12 PM

I use the sticky rollers. It seems like quilts attract pet hair from everywhere.

susiequilt 11-15-2009 06:35 PM

Rubber/latex gloves work well to clump the hair so you can pick it off. Finish up with the sticky roller.