Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone have a Bernina 750 QE ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-have-bernina-750-qe-t258789.html)

katydidkg 12-27-2014 04:54 AM

Anyone have a Bernina 750 QE ?

Does anyone own a Bernina 750 QE ? I'm considering an upgrade and wondering how quilter's like this machine. The throat depth is surely a plus, is it easy to fmq a twin or larger quilt ? Also it looks like everything is touch screen, but the stitch length and width knobs. Is it easy to learn ? thanks so much for comments

Quiltngolfer 12-27-2014 06:47 AM

I will be interested in the responses too. It sounds like a wonderful machine from the advertisements.

roselady 12-27-2014 10:54 AM

I have the 750, no embroidery. I've had it about 16 months but haven't done a lot on it because we have been remodeling my sewing room. I first purchased a 750 after it had been out only 6 months, before Bernina fixed the problem with the hook race. The dealer I purchased it from kept trying to tell me there wasn't a problem, that I was too picky! I did expect a $5,000. machine to sew better than a $200. machine from wal mart! They treated the whole issue horribly, wouldn't even have their tech look at my machine. As a result I returned that machine for a refund(I had used a credit card that would support me in this). Soon after was when Bernina announced the needed fix. I still loved what I thought the 750 had the potential for, so I started shopping for dealers. I had to go 3 hours away to find a dealer who admitted and explained to me the issues with the 7 series. I ended up buying my machine from him, and am happy with my machine. You should know that there is still a problem with wobbly stitches when using the positions to the right of center, so putting in a zipper may not look great. Supposedly Bernina is working on this, but it seems like 2 years should be long enough to get it fixed. It is my belief that a great dealer and tech is of utmost importance with any brand TOL computerized machines. I am getting ready to do my first FMQ with this machine and it is only a baby quilt, so I can't answer about doing the larger sizes, however it does have one of the largest spaces to the right of the needle, so it is bound to be easier than on a standard size machine. My previous machine was a Bernina 910, a mechanical, very basic, but wonderful machine, that I bought new in 1986, so I had to learn everything new. It has been fairly easy, though the manual could have been done better,IMO. If you have a good, nearby dealer they have classes to learn the machine. Sorry this is so long, hope it helps!

nanquilt 12-27-2014 11:47 AM

This machine is a dream for quilting or any sewing. You cannot go wrong. I upgraded my Bernina 440E for this machine. I loved the 440, but knew the 750 QE could make my quilting more pleasant.

Michellesews 12-27-2014 01:56 PM

I had one without the embroidery. I traded up to the 880 but it is a fine machine and I never had any problems with it. I had it for a year.

katydidkg 12-27-2014 02:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know there was a problem with wobbly stitches when positioned to the right. This machine is expensive so appreciate all the input ! thank you !

quiltstringz 12-27-2014 04:42 PM

My mom has this machine and I love sewing on it. One of the things I love is the dual feed!!! I agree that the dealer is very important, but also don't forget the Bernina website. They have a lot of tutorials out there and if you sign up for the newsletter they also have a lot of webinars. I am not sure if the webinar are mostly embroidery or not but if you sign up you get notified on all.

quiltstringz 12-27-2014 04:43 PM

I forgot to mention that my mom is not a computer person and hasn't taken the classes yet as she doesn't drive that far and I haven't been able to take her and she is getting along great with just reading the manual.

fatquarters 12-28-2014 01:20 PM

I must be weird, but I am definitely having trouble getting used to mine. I find myself switching back to my old machine for most of my piecing.

katydidkg 12-29-2014 04:38 AM

I can understand this, as they are putting more on the touch screen ... You have to hunt for options ... lol