Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone have this problem with Brother PQ1500s? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-have-problem-brother-pq1500s-t288228.html)

rryder 05-13-2017 05:36 PM

Anyone have this problem with Brother PQ1500s?

hey all, I have an older Brother PQ1500s that is my main quilter. I use it as a sit down (not on a frame) quilter and have done a lot of FMQ with it, using a variety of different threads as well as different thicknesses of quilt sandwiches etc. it had been handling anything I threw at it until recently when it began doing a strange speed up when I let off the foot controller. it doesn't always do this, but when it does the red needle down light starts to flash and the machine stops working. if I turn it off and then back on the light stops blinking and the machine works again. This has gotten more frequent over the past couple of months and today, I had to turn my machine off and back on at least 10 times while quilting. has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

thanks,
Rob

MadQuilter 05-13-2017 06:12 PM

Time to get a checkup.

sewbizgirl 05-13-2017 09:17 PM

Could your foot controller be wearing out?

notmorecraft 05-13-2017 11:10 PM

This happened with my Janome, I opened up the food pedal and it was full of lint, once I cleaned it out, the problem stopped,

QuiltnNan 05-14-2017 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by notmorecraft (Post 7823606)
This happened with my Janome, I opened up the food pedal and it was full of lint, once I cleaned it out, the problem stopped,

another great tip to remember when things go wrong

grammasharon 05-14-2017 03:11 AM

I agree. I had to have a foot control repaired for a problem with my mechanical Singer. I sew with stocking feet and the controller would get so warm that it was uncomfortable to sew with.

Stitchnripper 05-14-2017 04:07 AM

I have an older PQ1500 but it doesn't have that issue. When you get it solved would you please let us know for future reference? I'm going to guess it is the foot controller.

rryder 05-14-2017 04:20 AM

Thanks everyone. I'll check the foot controller to see if I can see any lint. If not I guess we'll take a little trip to the repair shop.

Rob

Onebyone 05-14-2017 06:52 AM

I have this machine and it's an older one. I haven't had that problem yet. I would think it's the foot pedal electrical signal. Not much else it could be but electrical if not mechanical. The problems I have had weren't death warrants but here they are so if anyone has the same.

1. Don't leave an extra spool of thread on the second spool pin. The wheel will pick up the loose end and wind half the cone around it before you notice. Very tedious to get all that thread out.
2. Straight pin somehow got in the bottom of the machine through the reverse lever gap. Jammed up a gear. Removed the pin and kept sewing.
3. Loud pop! Spring on reverse lever popped off and went all the way to the top of the machine. Reverse lever has to be manually lifted up when finished until I can get the spring back on. Sews fine.
4. Bobbin winder slipped, went off track. Straightened it back and sews fine.
5. The bottom and top of machine housing comes off easy and easy to put back on. It's easy to clean and troubleshoot for most all problems.

Stitchnripper 05-14-2017 07:45 AM

Thanks Onebyone. I got my machine used right after it had been serviced by someone I trust, so haven't done anything but oil frequently and clean out lint from bobbin area. One day I will take the top and bottom off for a look/see.