Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone have their scissors sharpened? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-have-their-scissors-sharpened-t69431.html)

shequilts 10-10-2010 03:36 PM

I have some wonderful Gingher scissors that are beginning to dull. Has anyone had theirs professionally sharpened? I've heard that, like a knife, they will not hold an "edge" well after sharpening. Does anybody know? There is a man who comes to our local Hancock's once a month.
As you can see, I'm very protective about my toys.

Chasing Hawk 10-10-2010 03:38 PM

I sent my pinking shear out to be sharpened. I went to Hancock's, I was very happy with the work he did.

MZStitch 10-10-2010 03:44 PM

I had mine sharpened at Hancocks about a year ago. All I can say is, DO IT! Wow, was I ever happy I did it! I think I forgot how good scissors are supposed to cut! They have held their edge well ever since.

redvette54 10-10-2010 03:46 PM

I'm a pet groomer, so I have shears sharpened all the time. If the person doing the sharpening isn't a professional, your shears could be ruined. I've used the same company for many years and very happy with his work. Ask questions, I won't have anyone do my shears, if they do lawn mower blades too.

amma 10-10-2010 03:55 PM

I have had mine sharpened and they were like brand new :D:D:D

momymom 10-10-2010 04:00 PM

I had my DGM's pinking sheers sharpened. They were so dull they wouldn't cut paper. They cut like a knife through butter now. They are 50 years old, and still have plenty of cutting life in them. Have them sharpened. You will be glad you did

SharonAnne 10-10-2010 04:00 PM

This is a great topic. I have some good quality dull scissors that I have procrastinated on sharpening. I guess they aren't useful as is, so I might as well take the plunge. Good to hear of so many positive experiences.

jbud2 10-10-2010 04:14 PM

I got my Fiskar's sharpened by a guy that who does it at our hardware store. Great job and came back in a sleeve it never had before!

Ginaky 10-10-2010 04:16 PM

I had my Ginghers sharpened and fixed (I dropped them on the end and it warped them) by sending them to the company. The service was free, I just had to pay postage. And they are the knife edge. With what those scissors cost, I didn't want to take the chance on just anyone doing them, and they did need to be fixed from the fall. They came back just like new.

BellaBoo 10-10-2010 04:22 PM

I do know it takes a pretty big chunk of time to sharpen knives and scissors to a like new edge. The guild hired a guy to come sharpen everyone's scissors and he did each one in about 10 minutes. Most were duller then when he started. I would make sure any scissor sharpener has a good reputation and good business practice before handing over my quality knives and scissors. A good sharpening will last several years or more.