Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone from Hawaii? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-hawaii-t216355.html)

bailey 03-14-2013 08:44 AM

Anyone from Hawaii?

Don't know if this is the right place to ask - but it is kind of quilting related. I may be going to Hawaii - Oahu sometime in the very near future and was wondering what I shouldn't miss as far as quilting goes. Any stores I should see?

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that this is going to happen.

Thanks,

Suzette316 03-14-2013 08:53 AM

A Hawaiian vacation is on the bucket list, but I've not made it there -- yet! :D

I hope you get to go and have a wonderful time! :)

bailey 03-14-2013 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Suzette316 (Post 5927888)
A Hawaiian vacation is on the bucket list, but I've not made it there -- yet! :D

I hope you get to go and have a wonderful time! :)

Thanks, I hope I get to go as well and I hope you get to cross it off your bucket list really soon.

Skyangel 03-14-2013 09:23 AM

A visit to Fabric Mart is a must! The biggest selection of hawaiian prints I've ever seen at $5 a yard. In Honolulu they are on Kalakaua Ave. near the convention center.

Have a great time on your trip!

mighty 03-14-2013 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Skyangel (Post 5927929)
A visit to Fabric Mart is a must! The biggest selection of hawaiian prints I've ever seen at $5 a yard. In Honolulu they are on Kalakaua Ave. near the convention center.

Have a great time on your trip!

Ditto that!!!!!!!

PaperPrincess 03-14-2013 02:46 PM

you can do a search on where board members live.
At the top of the page, click 'Member list', right under the Quilting board logo
You will see the alphabet along the top of the list. Under WXYZ, click the "Search" dropdown,
then select "Advanced Search"
In the "Location" box, type the location of the members you'd like to find
Then click "Search Now" at the bottom of the page.
You can send them a PM.
Remember when you are searching for a location, try the state alone, the city alone etc. For instance, try separate searches for Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, Waikikii etc.
I don't think many people realize that you can search on location. i see lots of queries made by people who will be traveling, they could do a search and send a couple of PMs in addition to their posts.

Traditional Quilter 03-14-2013 05:14 PM

I was in Oahu in the late 1990's and early 2000's. At that time the Bishop Museum had quilts exhibited in various settings -- just gorgeous. Also, there was the late Debbie (can't remember her last name) who designed Hawaiian Quilts. She held Hawaiian quilting classes at the museum. My last knowledge is that her granddaughter was keeping up the tradition. You might check all this out to see if all this still exists -- it was 13 years ago when I was there. My regret is that I didn't get a pattern cut by Debbie when I was there. When I first learned about her she would cut a king size hawaiian pattern and baste it for you for $200 and you provide the material. At the time I just didn't feel I could afford it. Well, my last trip I saved and planned to do it only to find out that Debbie had retired. While I'm sure her granddaughter was very good, it just wouldn't have been the same. Debbie might cut hundreds of Bread Fruit patterns, but each would be an original because she cut it like a snow flake free handed. Anyway google or do as PaperPrincess suggests. I promise you, you will be blown away with the Hawaiian quilts. They are works of art.

mary quilting 03-14-2013 06:14 PM

check out the flea market at Aloha stadium. there was a fabric vender

bailey 03-14-2013 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5928611)
you can do a search on where board members live.
At the top of the page, click 'Member list', right under the Quilting board logo
You will see the alphabet along the top of the list. Under WXYZ, click the "Search" dropdown,
then select "Advanced Search"
In the "Location" box, type the location of the members you'd like to find
Then click "Search Now" at the bottom of the page.
You can send them a PM.
Remember when you are searching for a location, try the state alone, the city alone etc. For instance, try separate searches for Hawaii, Maui, Oahu, Waikikii etc.
I don't think many people realize that you can search on location. i see lots of queries made by people who will be traveling, they could do a search and send a couple of PMs in addition to their posts.

Thank you, I didn't realize you could search by location. Lots of members in Hawaii!

LovinMySoldier 03-14-2013 08:40 PM

I live on Oahu :)