Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone know what I'm talking about? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-know-what-im-talking-about-t18139.html)

Bill'sBonBon 03-26-2009 09:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello I know you have some ans. to your question. But would like to share what I use. I also use the serger thread cone. Money saver and I have never got a quilt come apart from using it.
I did buy a stand alone for the cone and didn't like it. Found the Spool Tool and LOVE IT. I used the bottom of the stand alone but you don't have to use it. Cone can stand by itself. Here is a picture of it I have had no problems of tangle,breaking anything.

BillsBonBon

stitchinMamaw 03-26-2009 09:48 AM

BillsBonBon where did you get the spool tool ? I need one badly ! The top of my machine is like yours , except no upright spool pin . Thread tangles even with slot to the back , not happy sewing . Annie

Cathe 03-26-2009 10:08 AM

My dad made me a gadget like that out of wood.

I use cone thread a lot for piecing and sewing. I don't usually use it for machine quilting, because I like a thicker cotton thread for that - usually Star.

Up North 03-26-2009 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My son made me one out of a $1.00 paper towel holder it works great! You ccan get them a Joann's for around $6.00

mpspeedy 03-26-2009 11:10 AM

I have both. I got them through Nancy's Notions. I once worked for a Bernina Dealer who also did alterations and custom dressmaking. We often used the bobbin one on our serger when we were doing an alteration or small job. It allowed us to use regular thread rather than having to open a large serger spool that we may not have any more use for in the future. While there is a lot of serger thread out there the colors are not as plentiful. The only problem with serger thread in the sewing machine is the additional lint. Make sure you clean your machine often when using serger thread for regular sewing or quilting.

Bill'sBonBon 03-26-2009 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinMamaw
BillsBonBon where did you get the spool tool ? I need one badly ! The top of my machine is like yours , except no upright spool pin . Thread tangles even with slot to the back , not happy sewing . Annie

I ordered from Clotilde. web site is clotilde.com
I looked in this months catalog and it is not there so try on line. I have used thicker thread than the serger cones and it works for those threads also. The Spool Tool is what it is called and it can be used on an upright spool pin too. As long as it is on the end of macine I have no problem with tangels or breaking. As the cone doesn't spin around you can use anything that works to hold cone or nothing. I had already bought the upright thingy it was plastic and just didn't do the job. Since I had already gotten it i used the bottom for the spool. Hope Clotildes still has it.
Good Luck.
BillsBonBon

mrs. fitz 03-26-2009 04:17 PM

Thanks for all the input. I've hooked my friend up with this site and sure enough, she's found her answer -- the Clotilde item is what she was looking for. She also thanks all of you who responded.

Shemjo 03-26-2009 04:26 PM

Thanks for all the info. I learn something every day from this forum! :lol:

littlehud 03-26-2009 05:18 PM

First I was amazed by the spool winder and than amazed again by the spool tool. What will I learn next?

winia 04-01-2009 04:35 AM

:-) I am the friend Mrs. Fitts posed the question for.

The name of the gadget is E-Z Winder. I haven't lost my mind yet.
I knew I saw something someplace.

Also, as far as the Spool Tool, when I do a search, I get
manufacturing-type descriptions for very large machines.
I'd like to know where the Spool Tool was bought or what
description it is listed under.

Thanks,

Wini