Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone make a living at quilting? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-make-living-quilting-t57879.html)

Aully 08-09-2010 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mlaceruby
It is possible, I have accomplished this by being very diversified!
Also it doesn't happen overnight!
I have had my longarm for 6 years so it is now paid for, as well as my other equipment(machines,cutter etc.)
and you have to build a client base
right now I have a steady flow and can't take on more clients, this is because I want to keep them happy. they know that I will have no more that a month turn around on a top and a 2 month on a commissioned quilt.
I also discovered that to keep my costs down I had to buy wholesale, but the buying minimums are high.
So I started making kits, these I sell at very little over my wholesale cost. I don't make a living with these but they do help get my money back for the overpurchasing to meet my minimums. Some of which are $1000-$2000 per order.
you need to be creative and market yourself and your product!
also keep very good records!

Hello,
I am so glad you have Paypal on your website. YAY! Do you ship to Canada? If so how much is it? I love your website.
Thanks so much!

Linda1 08-09-2010 03:11 PM

I advertised in the local newspaper and I was covered up in quilts within a month. I only charge $35.00 because I only do something like wavy diamonds, clouds or other simple patterns. I wouldn't know how to do the beautiful quilting I see on here. If I did that I would charge a lot more. Another problem is that all of my clients are much older than I am (64) and even though they are proud of their quilts they are very hard to work with. I am trying to get out of business now but I still always have 8 to 10 quilts all the time. I sure don't enjoy it anymore.

dforesee 08-10-2010 06:44 AM

I teach classes in piecing and hand quilting or give private one on one instruction. I also make quilts by special order and offer hand quilting services. I am pretty open right now, trying a bit of everything to find my niche and what there is a market for.

PiecesinMn 08-10-2010 07:43 AM

I teach classes through Community Ed at the local school district. I have not taught at quilt shops or other school districts. My goal is to make enough to cover my quilting habit and for the most part I do. I have noticed, however, that this last year the number of people signing up for classes is down. So, either they don't like my classes or it's the economy. I am very careful not to schedule many classes (do like 2 ever quarter) because I don't want to get burnt out and quit quilting. I really do enjoy teaching and get excited about people being happy with their quilts they make from class.

dforesee 08-10-2010 08:57 AM

There is nothing like seeing a new quilter catch the bug, is there? I think that's what I love best about teaching classes.

PiecesinMn 08-10-2010 10:52 AM

exacty

Originally Posted by dforesee
There is nothing like seeing a new quilter catch the bug, is there? I think that's what I love best about teaching classes.