Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is anyone making String Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-making-string-quilts-t847.html)

sewmuch 08-02-2007 07:44 AM

Hi love2quilt, your quilt is wonderful. I have done two string quilts, they are fun to do and go quick. I did mine on 9 inch muslin squares, sewing strips on the diagonal, then finished them as I do a regular quilt. Also, have taught my grands to do them and they love it. :roll:

mimi 08-11-2007 08:57 AM

Hi, this is my first time here so if I make any mistakes please forgive me. I have a question about the string quilts. I understand the concept of making them but I loved the white and black around each square. How did you do that. Is the black or white the last strip to sewed or what. Thanks for any help yo can give me. M

Marybeth 08-11-2007 10:34 AM

I recently made two string quilted blocks for a sampler quilt that I am working on and the directions said to choose a block size, mine was 12", and measure diagonally across the middle, cut a strip 1 1/2" wide and length of fabric, lay it down, right side up on a backing and batting , lay 2nd strip on top of first strip, right sides together, sew down right hand edge with 1/4" seam through backing and batting. Turn top strip right side up, trim strip ends, finger press seam, place next strip on top of previous strip, right sides together, sew, turn and finger press. Continue on till the square is filled from center to edge. Repeat for other 1/2 of square.

It was one of the easiest blocks in the quilt even though I had never made one before.

Will attempt to post pics of blocks

Marybeth

Chunkymama 08-11-2007 10:55 AM

WARNING WARNING>they are addictive. I have to make myself STOP. It is a good way to use up all those little scraps you have that you just can't bring yourself the throw away :roll:

Marybeth 08-11-2007 10:59 AM

Here's the pictures of my blocks...
Nevermind...tried to upload but I couldn't get it to downsize. Will continue to try.

Rebecca Chambley 08-12-2007 01:33 AM

In a 2005 issue of Love of Quilting mag, there is a quilt designer named JoAnn Belling, she made a string quilt for fall. Really very pretty. I don't do patterns, but this one caught my eye because of the applique, and I love applique. So I decided that I had to make this one. Instructions are simple and easy to follow. I've done string quilting before, in fact I added a string border to a king quilt I made for a dear friend's B'day, using all the fabrics I used in the quilt, It came out really well and she was amazed at the border. I do not have the capabilities to post pictures or I would. And the twist that JoAnn Belling used on her Fall Quilt was really special. It leaves alot of room to add and take away to add your own special touches.
Here is her e-mail site to see some of her work, www.joannbelling.com

ilena 08-12-2007 04:19 AM

I hadn't heard of string quilts until I read this post. I am so inspired to make one now! I am even guilty of cutting some extra strips as I cut materials for my latest project!!

Marybeth 08-14-2007 11:30 AM

that is not a thing to be guilty of--- it is a thing to be proud of --You are multitasking :wink:

Marybeth