Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone recognize these as Baltimore Album blocks? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-recognize-these-baltimore-album-blocks-t304910.html)

osewme 05-26-2019 11:55 AM

Anyone recognize these as Baltimore Album blocks?

2 Attachment(s)
I have a dear friend who (years ago) made 6 quilt blocks along with some other ladies at her church. The blocks are 18" square & she said the pattern was Baltimore Album and not sure she still has the patterns. I looked all over the web & can't find anything that looks like her blocks. To me, hers look sort of Hawaiian. Anyway, my questions is mainly what to do with these 6 blocks she has made. She would like a lap quilt. I have offered to help her but am at a loss as to what to do. I suggested that we make more blocks so she will have enough for at least a lap size quilt. I've never done turn edge, hand stitched applique but am willing to help her make more blocks if that is what she wants to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated for the sashing & borders. Also for how to quilt it when it's ready for that stage. I'm not a fancy quilter....usually stitch in the ditch or following stencils.

Here are the 6 blocks she has already made. They are on muslin background.

Tartan 05-26-2019 12:02 PM

They look more Hawaiian needle turn appliqué blocks to me also. The bottom two green ones could be included in a Baltimore Album quilt since I have seen similar ones in BA.

nanna-up-north 05-26-2019 12:07 PM

Yup, these are Hawaiian blocks and I don't see any reason why you couldn't do some wide sashing to make a lap quilt. Of course it would be lovely if you made more of these but with them being 18" square you might end up with a quilt larger than what you want.

cathyvv 05-26-2019 12:27 PM

My exact thought.

dunster 05-26-2019 01:50 PM

They're beautiful Hawaiian applique, definitely not Baltimore Album. I made a bed quilt from blocks like these by just sashing them. https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictur...lt-t72844.html

mic-pa 05-26-2019 02:19 PM

Definitely Hawaiian blocks and add sash plus two borders and you have a nice lap quilt

Grace creates 05-26-2019 02:43 PM

Beautiful blocks, in one sense they look Hawaiian but also have a resemblance to Baltimore album. You can do some sort of alternate block that is pieced to get a secondary pattern going. What ever you and her decide it will be beautiful with such exquisite blocks made to begin with. I really like this beautiful intricate work, needs to become a quilt for sure.

sewbizgirl 05-26-2019 03:00 PM

Hawaiian applique. The 5th one looks like Baltimore Album because it has two colors. Hawaiian quilts are one color only, on the background color. I think that may be what is making you think Baltimore....

These are beautiful and would make a gorgeous wall quilt, 2 blocks across and 3 down.

Iceblossom 05-26-2019 03:59 PM

Well the red pineapples are definitely Hawaiian!

6 18" blocks is pretty good sized already for a lap quilt, wouldn't need much in terms of sashing/borders to finish it off.

Typically Hawaiian quilting is echoing the pattern in narrow rows. I think a stipple that does follow the outlines of the blocks a bit would be in keeping and a simple way to do justice to the blocks. Another concept to make the top larger would be to add alternating blocks or half-blocks of plain fabric where you quilt a traditional Hawaiian flower design in the plain blocks.

Edit: Should mention that pineapples were a common motif meaning welcome or hospitality and could indeed be in any number of East/South coast traditional quilts. I think the two-colored one is Rose of Sharon, which is often used for a wedding quilt, the others are using heart motifs. Not so sure about the one with a lyre? flower? Or what the meaning of the Fleur de lis is, but there is, I think, a theme to the blocks and maybe that can be played up some with border ideas...

madamekelly 05-26-2019 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by nanna-up-north (Post 8258079)
Yup, these are Hawaiian blocks and I don't see any reason why you couldn't do some wide sashing to make a lap quilt. Of course it would be lovely if you made more of these but with them being 18" square you might end up with a quilt larger than what you want.

I had sort of the same idea, but adding some red and green Hawaiian fabric