Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone tried quilting with an embroidery sewing machine? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-tried-quilting-embroidery-sewing-machine-t209978.html)

catmcclure 01-05-2013 04:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I quilted this on my Innovis. It was my first try at quilting using the embroidery setup. There are a lot of single stitch patterns available. Not so many for little boy quilts, but a lot of feathers, flowers, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]385954[/ATTACH]

sept97 01-05-2013 04:19 AM

I do it all the time with my janome 350e

aunt eunice 01-05-2013 04:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by McBrow (Post 5759298)
Has anyone tried their hand at machine quilting using an embroidery machine?

I have a Janome 11000SE sewing/embroidery machine. The machine has built in embroidery designs for blocks that can be used with or without stipple background; and separate designs for all over stipple. Other quilting designs can be added with the software or purchased designs can be uploaded to the machine. In addition to the designs, the machine has an on board quilt layout calculator. Simply select a design, then enter the width and length of the quilt. The screen displays the number of times the quilt has to be hooped. The magnetic hoops that came with my machine make it easy to firmly hoop and easily rehoop. No basting or stabilizer necessary.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385956[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]385955[/ATTACH]

cmierley 01-05-2013 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by Threads 77 (Post 5759357)
I am new to the embridery machines but love some of the quilt blocks a person can embroidery. What I have been wondering is: does a person emb. the blocks and then put it all tgether or does a person put the pieces all together and then embroidery as part of the quilting process? I am not crazy about the" quilt as you go" method so want another way. Love to hear what all you have to say. Mary M

What I have done on my embroidery machine is use the top and batting to embroider, then I assemble the quilt like normal. Then I stitch in the ditch to sandwich it all together.

cmierley 01-05-2013 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119 (Post 5759745)
I have embroidered the designs on blocks and then used some of my built in embroidery stitches to quilt the layers together. My quilt is call "Crazy About Iris" and was accepted and shown in the AQS show in Des Moines last October. If you quilt using an embroidery stitch, chose a more open stitch that does not have a lot of back and forth motion. All three layers can shift. I practiced on scraps with batting in between.

I love your quilt. I love the colors and all the different techniques you used. Beautiful!

Plumtree 01-05-2013 04:53 AM

I have an Elna 8200 and have quilted 4 fixin to be 5 with my embroidery machine, I use the single pass designs. Re-hooping can be difficult--centering is not always good. Good Luck and can't wait to see your practice :-)

Krystyna 01-05-2013 04:58 AM

What gorgeous quilts! I have a Brother PE-770 and used that several times for quilting. I've also done denser designs as central features in blocks. There are so many different types of designs out there. Just look around!

GammaLou 01-05-2013 06:16 AM

I have a BabyLock Elegante and it works beautifully embroidering on a quilt. It is also my 'standard' machine to piece and do free motion!!

quiltmom04 01-05-2013 06:37 AM

Yes, I quilted a design in the open spaces of a triple Irish chain quilt for my niece's wedding. It turned out very nicely. Don't hoop the quilt, just the stabilizer, pin it well and do a basting, or fix ( or whatever your machine calls it) stitch to anchor the quilt before you start. Be sure you have the fabric well supported, so the weight of the quilt does not affect the way the embroidery unit is working.

tildiemae 01-05-2013 06:55 AM

This is on my to do list for 2013! Thanks for the inspiration.