Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone use Roxanne needles? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-use-roxanne-needles-t16562.html)

roselady 02-15-2009 08:07 PM

I just purchased Roxanne quilting needles (betweens) size 12. I have been using Clover size 12. What a huge difference!! The Roxanne needles are about half the size of the clover. Just as advertized the Roxanne's go through the quilt layers like a hot knife through butter. My problem is that I can't rock my hand that quick, my stitches are much bigger with these new needles. Anyone have any suggestions? If I ordered sized 10 or 11 Roxanne's would that be more like a 12 clover. The size may not be the problem though, they may still slide through the quilt too easily. Another question I have is why is it said. in the quilting world, that the smaller needles make smaller stitches? I have gotten used to small needles little by little but I don't think my stitches are smaller. What is your favorite needle?

crispyquilts 02-16-2009 07:59 AM

I use Piece Maker size 12 betweens. I have tried the Roxanne Sharps for hand piecing and needle turn applique, but I find that I bend them too easily so use my betweens for piecing and the Piece Maker Applique needles for applique.

Prism99 02-16-2009 09:09 AM

I also found that the Roxanne needles bent too quickly for me. Different manufacturers actually make their needles to different specifications, so it's worth trying different brands until you find one you really like. It's not only a matter of how thin a needle is; some of the points are sharper than others, some of the finishing is smoother, and the tapers can be different.

I haven't hand quilted in awhile, but I think it was the Richard Hemming & Son brand of needles that worked best for me. I know for sure that they are one of the better brands in terms of sharpness of point and smoothness. I never liked going smaller than a size 10, mostly because of bent needles.

What batting are you using? I found that the size of my stitches depended much more on the batting I used than the needle size. Again, in terms of smallness of stitches, it seems to me it is the length of the smaller size needles that makes the difference. A shorter length means your fingertip is closer to the quilt so you have more control over the needle's angle of entry and exit.

Lots of people have done more hand quilting than I have, so I'm no expert!

Skeat 02-16-2009 09:10 AM

roselady...try to just pick up a 2-3 stitches and no more for awhile to get use to them. I too did the same thing. Now, I have to do that to myself when I haven't handquilted for awhile, again:). You will love the needles...and, I love that 'thread heaven' to pull the thread over too. Keep the thread moving w/you and not to tangle up!LOL I also like the John James needles and Piecemakers along w/Roxanne's. Amazing stitches when you get use to them. You will be a happy quilter!Skeat

Cathe 02-16-2009 12:22 PM

I have tried them but I prefer Piecemakers. I think they are finer (sharper, thinner)

Rox17 02-16-2009 01:43 PM

I didn't even know there was such a thing as Roxanne needles. I should get a commission :-)

crashnquilt 02-16-2009 05:20 PM

I love Roxanne needles. I prefer the size 10 myself. I like them so much that I even use them for all of my hand sewing.

BellaBoo 02-16-2009 07:02 PM

I read an article somewhere that needles and pins made in Japan are better quality then those made in England or Germany. Piecemakers are made in Japan. I think Roxanne's are too but not sure. Some Clover needles are made in Japan. Organ machine needles are.

quiltray 04-03-2011 01:41 AM

I find Roxanne are far the best needles for hand quilting. They don't bend or snap and are easy to thread. I always use size 12for the smallest stitching but use 10 if I am doing big stitch quilting with a thicker thread. These are English made needles and are much better quality than Clover

quiltmaker 04-03-2011 04:01 AM

I have used Roxanne's for years and love them. She had them made specifically for handquilters. If you have read her book you would see how she went about the process.

Roxanne died before her book "That Perfect Stitch" came out and her daughter Diedra completed it for her. It is a fabulous book that most of us can only hope to emulate. Personally I don't think I will ever get there. I do think her book is out of print but can still be found on some of booksites that offer out of print books. For me personally it is the bible for handquilters and also has so much informtion to be gleaned about threads, fabrics and battings that it is invaluable.

Also I heard that they changed manufacturers for their needles and this might be why some people don't like them. I have enough of her original needles to last 3 lifetimes but seriously doubt they will ever be used. I am into machine quilting more and hopefully one day will use many of them and make my totally handquilted quilt. My handmade cathedral window quilt will hopefully be the first of those but as it's been a work in process for more years than I care to admit I can only pray to get it done.