Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Anyone used peel and seal plastic for quilting patterns???? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/anyone-used-peel-seal-plastic-quilting-patterns-t55727.html)

JJane 07-22-2010 12:07 PM

Have any of you used the peel and stick plastic by tracing a pattern you want to quilt? I have heard that some trace the pattern then press it on the quilt with your hands and use the longarm to stitch the pattern. Do you stitch thru the plastic? Hoping someone as tried it or knows something about it. Thanks
JJane

twistedstitcher 07-22-2010 03:02 PM

I've used Press and Seal for quilting. You trace the pattern on the film, press it onto the quilt and stitch through the plastic following the pattern. It works well except if the stitches are too small there can be bits of plastic that are really difficult to get out from under the stitches.

jean knapp 07-22-2010 03:11 PM

I use press and seal when I embroider on towels. It really seals the towel loops so they never pop out. they stuff they sell is wash away and does that on the first washing. Plus you get so much more for your money. Jeannie

maine ladybug 07-22-2010 03:33 PM

I have used Press and Seal several times for quilting. I trace the pattern on, stick it to the quilt and sew. Afterwards just pull the Press and Seal off the quilt. If the pattern has small areas it may be harder to get the stuff off. I've had to use my tweesers to pick some of it off the quilt. Also, the needle will get a bit of residue on it after a while. Just take it out and wipe it off and put the needle back in.

C.Cal Quilt Girl 07-22-2010 03:37 PM

Clever.... do you stick it to the pattern, then trace, and restick to quilt ??

maine ladybug 07-22-2010 03:39 PM

Yes. That way the pattern stays in one piece and you can make as many copies on the Press and Seal as you need.

ckcowl 07-22-2010 03:49 PM

i really messed up when i tried this...i used a black sharpie to trace a design on the press and seal, then stuck it to the quilt top and quilted it...the black ink when through with each needle punch...so i had little black dots all over the quilt top and since it was a sharpie it was permenent...i wish this had worked better for me but i have not been brave enough to try it again since...it was a neat technique but i am just thankful i tried it on my own quilt and not someone elses....the quilt that was supposed to be a gift is just another on the stack stuffed into the linen closet...oh well. i don't know if i just didn't give the ink time to dry, or if it was just the wrong thing to use to draw with...a pencil did n't work...anyway...
that's my experience with it.

katier825 07-22-2010 04:06 PM

I use the Sulky Solvy wash away and Washable Crayola markers. I experimented with the sharpie and got similar results, luckily, not on a real quilt!

I'm still fairly new at it and my stitches are not perfect yet. I can't imagine picking plastic out of tiny stitches. The Solvy is better for me. I just trim away the large extra pieces and the rest washes out.

maine ladybug 07-22-2010 04:07 PM

I have used a sharpie in the past myself. I didn't have any leak through, but you can sometimes have a hard time getting the little spots of P/S off and if they are black it shows up more. If you use one of the water removiable markers ( I use the blue colored one ) even if it went through you could get it off with water. Honestly, I haven't had the problem though.

JJane 07-22-2010 05:46 PM

Thanks everyone. The more information I have the better I feel about trying something new. I had been warned about using a sharpie.