Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   An Apology (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/apology-t55959.html)

RobinAnn 07-24-2010 04:33 AM

To all those that go to their LQS and are not treated like the most important person in the store--my apologizes because it bothers me to see those kinds of posts on this board because I feel like each person who enters deserves this polite consideration. I really work hard to make every person who enters our shop feel special, but yesterday, things just got so busy that I was not able to give that special consideration to all who entered. I had been helping a customer search another yellow fabric that would work with the yellow dotted fabric already in her project, but there was a line forming at the checkout and I was the only one there. (Usually there are two of us, but this was just one of those days.) I excused myself for a moment and then got so tied up with everyone at the counter that I did not get back to the lady searching for yellow. My intentions were good, but my follow through was lacking. :oops:

grann of 6 07-24-2010 04:45 AM

I am sure she understood. I try to be careful when I am in my LQS and see that they are busy. I figure I can always go back later if necessary. People come from great distances to shop at "my" store.

quiltinghere 07-24-2010 04:47 AM

Sometimes that happens - that any type of store is short handed...especially in this economy. Stores don't know from one day to the next when the consumer will be spending money.

On the other hand if employees are goofing off, talking unnecessarily, moving slowly, or can't be found...now that irritates me.

Hopefully 'she' understands. Did she just leave? Maybe she looked around and didn't see anything that would match.

Beachbound 07-24-2010 04:50 AM

RobinAnn, I think what you discribed is quite different from what others are talking about. That was understandable!!! It is the snippy, uninterested employee that sets my teeth on edge. After all we can only do so much, right?

sewgull 07-24-2010 04:59 AM

A busy shop differs from a not caring shop. Customer understand when you are truly busy. I think it's when you enter into any business and salesperson don't care that you you are living or dead.
I would love to visit your shop. Must be a friendly place to visit.

sueisallaboutquilts 07-24-2010 05:09 AM

Originally Posted by sewgull
A busy shop differs from a not caring shop. Customer understand when you are truly busy. I think it's when you enter into any business and salesperson don't care that you you are living or dead.
I would love to visit your shop. Must be a friendly place to visit.

Couldn't have said it better!! :D

CarrieAnne 07-24-2010 06:12 AM

Aw, I am sur people could see you were busy! Now, if you were standing there, or talking on the phone,it would be diffrent. I am sure she understood!

Lady Shivesa 07-24-2010 06:17 AM

When I worked at a sandwich shop for two years, I learned the value of good customer service. I actually enjoyed it. Making people laugh or smile made my day. Our work emphasized good customer service a lot, so now when I go into a restaurant or store and the employees are short with me, appear bored or are just not doing their job, it bugs me a little.

On the other hand, I know there were more than a few days when I felt sick at work, or was exhausted or had stuff going on in my life and it was very hard to paste on a smile for other people. So I can see it going both ways.

But I agree with everyone else, RobinAnn, there's a difference between what you did - which is totally acceptable - and what a lot of *cough* may I say younger workers out there today do. (I'm younger, so I think I can get away with that..>_>)

Butterflyblue 07-24-2010 06:21 AM

There is definitely a difference between a shop owner who is pulled away by the need to help other customers, and a shop owner (or two!) who has a phone glued to her ear the whole time you are in the store, gossiping loudly with her friends (that wasn't a quilt shop, but still, a small privately owned shop).

I'm sure the customer understood and didn't get bent out of shape.

pab58 07-24-2010 12:06 PM

I completely understand that when things are busy in a shop, customers simply shouldn't expect to receive the same attention they would receive when it isn't busy. My beef is when it isn't busy, and customers are ignored -- not even a smile!! As a former fabric store clerk and supervisor I do understand things can get crazy and customers have to be patient and considerate. It's the clerks that make you feel like a bother that upset me. :| It would bother me so much when I couldn't give each customer my undivided attention, but I always made sure I greeted them with a smile and hello. Some clerks don't even do that! :-(