Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   apple cores (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/apple-cores-t268147.html)

ManiacQuilter2 07-30-2015 04:44 AM

Is it available doing it by a PP method??

notmorecraft 07-30-2015 05:02 AM

I use the accuquilt to cut, and like others I sew them together into blocks of 4.

lynnie 07-30-2015 07:46 AM

I used the accucut or GO! diecutter so it does have a notch. I'm doing it by hand, but am rethinking this one and it might be easier by machine. I'm looking at it with new eyes today, so hopefully it will be easier to do this am. thanks everyone!!

Geri B 07-30-2015 04:57 PM

Three pins......one at edge lined up even- one at center, either notched ( die) or finger press crease, and last at,other edge, lined up evenly....no dog ears.....sew slowly,and right hand on bottom smile,left hand on top frown...keep your eye just before the edge of foot and as you are sewing you are moving right hand to the left, left hand to right...you will find the seams meet just before the needle gets them.. At the end I use a tweezer to hold the last edges lined up for sewing.....sounds more difficult than it really is....

matraina 07-31-2015 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7271354)
anyone ve any suggestions for making an apple core quilt.
i'm frustrated with them and thinking of trashing the whole thing.
I've done lots of odd shapes and angels, but there have me a bit befuddled.
so anyone here have and word sof wisdom on them??? help!

Jenny Doan has both a template and a tutorial on an apple core quilt. I will try to find the link.

matraina 07-31-2015 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie (Post 7271354)
anyone ve any suggestions for making an apple core quilt.
i'm frustrated with them and thinking of trashing the whole thing.
I've done lots of odd shapes and angels, but there have me a bit befuddled.
so anyone here have and word sof wisdom on them??? help!

I put the following in my browser and they all came up:
Jenny Doan's Apple Core quilt

Tudey 07-31-2015 08:15 AM

My suggestion is DON'T! I did a small apple core quilt and darn near threw it away several times. I persevered and vowed never again!

tessagin 07-31-2015 08:19 AM

jenny Doan has some of the best videos. When it comes to sewing on a curve, I follow her instruction and I just slow my speed down. Works for me. What a friend of mine did was use the smaller template she has and made a woman's torso for a quilt. Looked cute. watching Jenny's video you can see it.

roserips 07-31-2015 08:56 AM

I have an apple core started and was using the accuquilt die for cutting which by the way I love, they are so accurate and make sewing a joy. ( not affiliated with this company just love there product ) I have stacks of apple core 4 patches and have no idea where I am going with it but one day I will get back to them.

lynnie 07-31-2015 12:09 PM

I found the best way for me is to use LOTS of pins. I've got it down now, got 8 rows done, so now I just need to start adding them row by row to each other. thanks everyone for your advice.

now I just need to figure out my quilting. thought of diamonds, doing it by hand.