Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Appli-Soft? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/appli-soft-t187937.html)

Thinkuvme2 05-03-2012 06:36 AM

Appli-Soft?

I just received my Sun Bonnet Sue and Over All Sam accuquilt die cuts and can't wait to get started on them... I really enjoy appliqueing but I'm not crazy about the 'stiffness' of it. I'm using Heat N Bond Ultrahold and was wondering if there is another alternative or does it soften up after washing OR is that 'just the way it is'? Any advice would be so helpful. Thank You.

Candace 05-03-2012 07:26 AM

Check out Soft Shades and Misty Fuse. Both are much better for softness of the final product. Also "windowing" the applique and only using fusible on the outer 1/4" helps a lot.

PaperPrincess 05-03-2012 08:48 AM

Hmmm, the Ultrahold is designed for crafts and home dec, not quilting. I can see why you think it's too stiff! There are more appropriate products out there as Candace mentioned.
there is a special thread on this board for applique:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...re-t64769.html

lots of info here.

maine ladybug 05-03-2012 08:51 AM

There are much lighter weight types of bonding agents you can try. Ask at your local quilt shop. Another way to use it is to just cut out about a 1/2 inch wide strip of the heat and bond, instead of covering the whole image.

irishrose 05-03-2012 09:12 AM

Heat and Bond Ultrahold is not meant to be sewn through because it will gum up the needle. Heat and Bond Lite is sewable, but is still somewhat stiff. I purchased some unmarked fusible web from my LQS that was much softer so there are products out there. Even Wonder Under is softer than the Heat and Bond products.

charity-crafter 05-03-2012 09:19 AM

I've used the steam and seam 2, it's a little on the stiff side but no where as bad as the h&b ultra-that stuff is for when you don't plan to sew it down, just iron on-isn't more for wall hangings that don't get much wear and tear?

Jackie Spencer 05-03-2012 05:12 PM

I use Steam A Seam II and then do the buttonhole stitch by hand around my appliques. I have no problems with it being hard to needle. You can also use a feather weight fusible inter-facing. I get it at Joanns.

burchquilts 05-03-2012 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Candace (Post 5190521)
Check out Soft Shades and Misty Fuse. Both are much better for softness of the final product. Also "windowing" the applique and only using fusible on the outer 1/4" helps a lot.

Are those products pretty readily available? I've always just used either very used dryer sheets or lightweight non-fusible interfacing.

How do you like your new Accuquilt? I was just reading about them today. I'd like to get one but there are so many brands on the market that it confuses me (which isn't too hard to do... LOL!).

Dolphyngyrl 05-03-2012 06:59 PM

Wonder under, mistyfuse, Steam-a-seam lite to name a few

jaciqltznok 05-03-2012 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Thinkuvme2 (Post 5190378)
I just received my Sun Bonnet Sue and Over All Sam accuquilt die cuts and can't wait to get started on them... I really enjoy appliqueing but I'm not crazy about the 'stiffness' of it. I'm using Heat N Bond Ultrahold and was wondering if there is another alternative or does it soften up after washing OR is that 'just the way it is'? Any advice would be so helpful. Thank You.

heat n bond ultra is NOT for machine applique at all! It even says it will gum up your needles. You need heat n bond lite or the new featherlite that is even better! OR learn to cut the center out of you design before you fuse your fabric to it! That is the best way with large pieces like Sue and Sam have! You leave just a little fusible on the outer edges! OR since you are die cutting, just get stitch-witchery and cut it when you cut out your fabrics..no paper fusible to waste at all! That is what I use and have for years, makes it easier to just slip that webbing under the applique and fuse it down!