Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Appliqué suggestions needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/appliqu%E9-suggestions-needed-t228064.html)

Jacki 08-16-2013 03:18 AM

Appliqué suggestions needed

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone. 12.10pm in the UK and I'm looking at a problem. I have been given a lovely quilt for Project Linus UK and its your flag. At some point it has been damaged and a small repair has been made on the far right on a red stripe. You probably can't see it in the photo but the repair itself is now in need of repair. The hole goes right through but I can label it to cover the reverse. So the question is - what kind of appliqué could be used to improve the situation. It can be a fun patch or a serious one, it really doesn't matter. Is there a national flower possibly? Suggestions please. Many thanks Jacki. Not sure if I have actually managed to attach photo - still learning!

KR 08-16-2013 03:47 AM

I would do just what was done before as it preserves the integrity of a national flag.

mermaid 08-16-2013 03:49 AM

First thing that comes to my mind is an eagle...our nat'l symbol. Could you do that?

DogHouseMom 08-16-2013 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by KR (Post 6236720)
I would do just what was done before as it preserves the integrity of a national flag.

ditto that. I think the only thing I would use would be the color red to cover it.

soccertxi 08-16-2013 07:42 AM

Can you show us a close up of the damaged area?

soccertxi 08-16-2013 07:46 AM

OK..I was able to click on the picture and I think I see the problem. Is the seam coming undone and a bit of the white is fraying? If that is the problem, I think I would slip stitch the seam closed by hand. Then I would get some fray check or fabric glue and tuck the frayed threads under with a toothpick. If you hold it down with tweezers or something , you can hold it in place a few mins until it sets. I will look at the picture again and see if I can see anything else.

amelia0607 08-16-2013 08:03 AM

I would suggest an Eagle or if you can find one, possible a statue of liberty or mt rushmore - probably hard to find those though.

Jacki 08-16-2013 08:19 AM

Thanks. The repair patch was not an exact match anyway so I certainly can't give it to a vulnerable child as a quilt with a repair. However, young children here just love American stuff so I don't want to lose it. Maybe I can fussy cut from a printed panel. The other national ideas I think are really good - no sign of a patch but just more US stuff. Thanks for the help, I think I can see a way forward now. Regards Jacki

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 08-16-2013 10:51 AM

If you want it to be less obvious, you might be able to put several small appliques around the edge so it looks planned. You could do an eagle, a liberty bell, Washington Monument, Statue of Liberty, Uncle Sam, etc. If you need more ideas, I'm sure Google will have millions.

Tartan 08-16-2013 10:55 AM

How about stitching a matching red and white strips of fabric together(or similar). Then cut out a star shape with the seam running through the middle. You could then appliqué the star in place matching the seam lines and it would be hardly noticeable but if you did look it would be in a neat star shaped appliqué.