Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Appliquéing a detailed crocheted butterfly question. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/appliqu%E9ing-detailed-crocheted-butterfly-question-t192507.html)

TeresaPendino 06-22-2012 11:53 AM

Appliquéing a detailed crocheted butterfly question.

1 Attachment(s)
I am new to appliqué and have done a bit of research on the techniques. My creativity got to going and I thought of crocheting these beautiful butterflies and incorporating them into a quilt. Each will measure 8" wide x 10.5" long, therefore thinking of putting them on the diagonal of a 12" finished block. I am not ready to start this project as of yet, but wanted to do some more research on the "how to's". I have a huge fear that this idea is completely out there on mixing crochet with quilting. My question is: Would I just sew around the body, wings and antennas or would I attempt to sew the detailed parts inside the wings as well? One other question: Can you use wax paper with yarn like you would fabric as in a fusible web type of process? My heartfelt gratitude in advance for any advice that may be given. All of you talented people are much appreciated and inspiring!

ckcowl 06-22-2012 12:08 PM

wax paper is not used for applique---freezer paper is- they are 2 different products- freezer paper has a plastic coating that does not leave a residue on the fabric- wax paper is wax-melts- leaves wax on fabric.
i have added tatted butterflies to quilting projects- almost the same thing-except instead of yarn they were made with cotton thread.
i stitched down around the outside- & anywhere i was worried it would pull up with time-
freezer paper is generally used for templates to cut out appliques & to use to turn under edges-
a fusable web i think is maybe what you were thinking of-
it would be difficult to use for your crocheted items- the webbing would melt & (ooze) out in the gaps causing it to get on the top of the crocheted pieces too- you could use a fabric glue though which you would have control over where it goes if you want something besides pins to hold your butterflies in place for stitching-either choice will make hand stitching a challenge.

TeresaPendino 06-22-2012 12:18 PM

Thank you so much.. yes, wax paper was not what I meant, lol. Think I'm too tired from going to the gym that my brain isn't functioning at full capacity. I'm thinking the glue would work better for me, I'm assuming it would wash out when washed… I am thinking I would have more problems trying to use pins. Sure wished I could go back and edit that original post! lol Thanks again for replying :)

Prism99 06-22-2012 06:33 PM

I think what I would do is use Misty Fuse to fuse the crocheted butterflies to the background first. Place a sheet of parchment paper over the crochet when fusing so none of the fusible gets on your iron, and iron from the back of the fabric. (You could put a sheet of parchment paper over the fabric too, just to make sure that no fusible gets on the iron, but it would be unlikely.) Misty Fuse is extremely light and fine and will not be obvious even in the holes of the crochet. After that I would sew around the outside edges of the butterfly, either by hand or machine, to secure it. I would add extra stitching around the body and around the wings near the body, but I would not sew around every hole.

Google Misty Fuse to find websites with examples of how it has been used.

This is definitely not outside the realm of quilting, but how are you planning to use the finished item? If it will be a bed quilt, you would want to take extra care when washing and drying as the crochet will be more delicate than most quilts.

jad1044 06-23-2012 05:02 AM

I have many crocheted doilies that my mom and grandmother made; i am planning to incorporate them into a quilt in their memory - it will be a delicate quilt when finished, so not for everyday wear; special occasion at best - might even become something to put under glass in a shadowbox to store forever; many ideas going through my head with this - but all these hints of how to attach the items to the fabric block, is very much appreciated to me as well....

Might I say thank you to those who offered ideas for Theresa's inquiry about how to mount the butterflies onto fabric; it has helped me too - thanks ladies! This board is so helpful! Amazingly helpful!

DogHouseMom 06-23-2012 05:49 AM

I have not done what you are trying to do, but I think I would use small dabs of washable elmers glue to hold the butterfly in place. Then I would FMQ the edges, the body, the antennae, and some of the center of the wings with clear poly thread.

jlm5419 06-23-2012 06:16 AM

I recommend tacking or sewing around the outside edges, as well as the interior. You don't want the interior buckling or bowing out.

pattypurple 06-23-2012 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=jad1044;5310324]I have many crocheted doilies that my mom and grandmother made; i am planning to incorporate them into a quilt in their memory - it will be a delicate quilt when finished, so not for everyday wear; special occasion at best - might even become something to put under glass in a shadowbox to store forever; many ideas going through my head with this - but all these hints of how to attach the items to the fabric block, is very much appreciated to me as well....

I took doilies that DH grandma made and hand stitched them to fabric then put them in a frame with a picture of Grandma also in the frame. My son has one hanging on his living room wall. Nice memory.