Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

BonniFeltz 09-26-2010 05:31 PM

Ok. Here is a question for you on hearts.

I am working on hearts. I don't like the pot holder idea (don't use them) so I have three different sizes of hearts and I thought I'd just put them in a row for a mini wall hanging. I'm taking pictures at each step in case it turns out ok and I can look back on it for a referral (or if anybody else wants to see it).

My question is.......

whats the best way to mark down a quarter of an inch for when I cut it out. I mean around the top of the heart in the dip. Did that make sense? Doesn't it run in all together then? I know...even though there are no stupid questions, there are silly ones and this one is on the border line (grins).

Thanks.

quilt addict 09-26-2010 06:09 PM

I will certainly BM this page and see what I can learn. I have been working on a quilt using needleturn applique. I just wish it was coming out better. Fraying at the inner points and not sharp points at the end. I really need to get it finished. I did buy a pattern for another applique that I was going to use in the IRR#3 but didn't get it soon enough. Maybe if I start now I can have it done for next years.

sewnmom 09-27-2010 05:19 AM

Bonni, if i'm understanding you right on the 1/4 inch.. you can take 2 pencils put together with a rubber band,that makes a 1/4 mark.. there is a dodad that holds the pencils but i can't find then anymore.. hope this helps... and your right, there are n't any dumb questions.......molly

sewhappy30 09-27-2010 05:29 AM

BonniFeltz, Just wondering did you use a stabilizer on the back of your cats? My first machine applique project I never and it puckered really bad. But then I learned about the stabilizer and have used it since then and I don't have that problem anymore.

BonniFeltz 09-27-2010 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by sewhappy30
BonniFeltz, Just wondering did you use a stabilizer on the back of your cats? My first machine applique project I never and it puckered really bad. But then I learned about the stabilizer and have used it since then and I don't have that problem anymore.

I didn't use a stabilizer. Didn't know you needed to. I can see now where you will need to. On the other hand, I showed this to a non quilter at work and she didn't see all the puckering like we do. LOL. My choices are to totally redo the cats by hand (don't have as much puckering and it would be less painful than redoing it by machine) or leave it and hope for the best, or throw it out and chalk it up to a learning experience.

coralee 09-27-2010 05:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am working on this right now, I love the freezer paper method.

quilter41 09-27-2010 06:01 AM

Funny you should start this. Our quilt club has been having a demo each month on different ways to do applique. I have tried some of them, but haven't been very sucessful. You see being a perfectionist is getting in my way. LOL! Maybe I will learn something here. Can only hope.

BonniFeltz 09-27-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by coralee

I love that quilt! On the freezer paper method do you cut out the seam allowance or it is cut out exactly to the size of the pattern and then you stitch (vs. needle turn under, etc.)

coralee 09-27-2010 06:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
you cut the freezer paper out exactly the size you want, the material is about1/4 size bigger I snit around the curves use a glue stick and iron the pieces around the back then do a hidden stitch after pinning it to the block

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz

Originally Posted by coralee

I love that quilt! On the freezer paper method do you cut out the seam allowance or it is cut out exactly to the size of the pattern and then you stitch (vs. needle turn under, etc.)

freezer paper butterfly
[ATTACH=CONFIG]110543[/ATTACH]

misseva 09-27-2010 06:45 AM

scroll to top of this page, click on search & type in BOM and you will be directed to many links on this board for free BOMs. be sure to read rules about BOMs - have fun