Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

kwiltkrazy 12-22-2010 02:46 PM

Looks great Bonni, I love your colors.

BonniFeltz 12-22-2010 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by kwiltkrazy
Looks great Bonni, I love your colors.

Thanks. The fabric looks better in person because all of it has gold thread running through it. It does look festive. :)

Debbie B 12-22-2010 03:00 PM

Raw edge machine applique? Do the edges fray when washed? I'd like to try it.

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.

kwiltkrazy 12-22-2010 04:11 PM

They don't fray if you use wonderunder (or like), and use a good satin stitch that covers the edge at least a 1/4 inch. Very little of in the material mostly on the fabric being applied.

Suz 12-22-2010 05:02 PM

Yes, you can go around twice, thus closing the gaps. If you do not have a stabilizer for under your work, use plain $old typing paper or newspaper. If you have trouble removing same then just spritz with of water. Little tags of paper will present no problem.

With a little planning, you could have avoided having two reds and two blacks together on the corners. Your fabric selections and applique are very nice.

Suz

BonniFeltz 12-22-2010 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Suz
Yes, you can go around twice, thus closing the gaps. If you do not have a stabilizer for under your work, use plain $old typing paper or newspaper. If you have trouble removing same then just spritz with of water. Little tags of paper will present no problem.

With a little planning, you could have avoided having two reds and two blacks together on the corners. Your fabric selections and applique are very nice.

Suz

Thanks Suz. Didn't think of using regular paper. What looks like black is actually green with red holly on it. I didn't mind that they were together in the two corners especially since they are in opposite corners. This was a last minute decision to make so it didn't have a lot of planning involved. LOL.

craftiladi 12-24-2010 08:51 AM

Very Pretty Bonni...now darn it why didn't I think of that when doing my hot pads..lol
Hey merry Christmas all my quilty buds from cedar city ut.

hlponyfarm 12-24-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by KathyAire
I do like to applique but I do the raw edge machine applique and I don't think it's really considered appliquing. But, it works for me and that's what I will continue to do. I absolutely hate to do any hand work.

me too. the thought of hand work chills me. LOL

BonniFeltz 12-24-2010 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by craftiladi
Very Pretty Bonni...now darn it why didn't I think of that when doing my hot pads..lol
Hey merry Christmas all my quilty buds from cedar city ut.

Happy Holidays to all.

hlponyfarm 12-24-2010 09:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
it is definately a practiced thing.. the more you do the better it gets. i posted this on the picture page but this is my applique project. wip. I designed this and have lots more to do to it before Im happy with it. it is all appliqued. this is my first project and Im just winging it.

fish bowl
[ATTACH=CONFIG]147513[/ATTACH]