Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Club (Do you like to applique, lets chit chat here) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-club-do-you-like-applique-lets-chit-chat-here-t64769.html)

thelondonzoo 09-15-2010 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JCquilts

Originally Posted by thelondonzoo

That's beautiful! So you didn't fold down the edges prior, right? That's what hand-turn applique means?

Yes, that's right, you turn under about 1/2 inch at a time usinsg your needle to turn and your thumb and finger on the other hand to lightly finger press and hold in place as you stitch it down.

I imagine it takes Lots of practice. lol I can just imagine getting very frustrated. It's a good skill to learn though and one I absolutely plan on trying someday soon.

Well, applique is not something that you learn in one sitting. There are always more techinques to learn,,sharp points, smooth curves, circles, narrow stems, sharp Vs and then there is deminsional, like rouching, folded rose buds, etc etc..

But it doesnt take long to learn the basic invisable stitch.. and once your fingers know how to do this, you can concentrate on the other things..

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? :wink: lol You gotta start somewhere, right? I'm going to work on a little applique block probably by the end of next month once I have all my swaps out of the way.

PieceandLuv 09-15-2010 04:37 PM

hi i love this please may i join also thank you...........

craftybear 09-15-2010 05:21 PM

we now have a virtual board for applique, be sure to subscribe to it from the home page (thank you admin)

just go to the home page, scroll down to All User Defined Sections, find Applique and subscribe to it

this is where all of the links etc. will be posted for applique on this virtual board, so if you find something on the board that pertains to applique to be sure add it to our Virtual Board for Applique

JCquilts 09-15-2010 05:30 PM

That's beautiful! So you didn't fold down the edges prior, right? That's what hand-turn applique means?

Yes, that's right, you turn under about 1/2 inch at a time usinsg your needle to turn and your thumb and finger on the other hand to lightly finger press and hold in place as you stitch it down.

I imagine it takes Lots of practice. lol I can just imagine getting very frustrated. It's a good skill to learn though and one I absolutely plan on trying someday soon.

Well, applique is not something that you learn in one sitting. There are always more techinques to learn,,sharp points, smooth curves, circles, narrow stems, sharp Vs and then there is deminsional, like rouching, folded rose buds, etc etc..

But it doesnt take long to learn the basic invisable stitch.. and once your fingers know how to do this, you can concentrate on the other things..

Are you trying to give me a heart attack? :wink: lol You gotta start somewhere, right? I'm going to work on a little applique block probably by the end of next month once I have all my swaps out of the way.

No, No, not trying to give you a heart attack, just trying to set expectations. There is ALWAYS more to learn. After many years of doing needleturn, I still learn new things. It is a lifelong love affair.

craftybear 09-15-2010 05:33 PM

Who has done applique and teach us. If so please contact Patrice J (moderator) to set up a group activity for us and can add it to our virtual applique section.

We need to start with a beginner applique project. Come on you teachers, please please!

Patricia Ann 09-15-2010 06:28 PM

I machine applique with my embroidery machine Patricia

manyana 09-15-2010 06:28 PM

Count me in!! Love applique - have done blanket stitch (by hand) and would love to attempt needle turn. Thanks for the links - are they are great. The photos of everyones applique are fantastic.
Colleen

KathyAire 09-15-2010 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Patricia Ann
I machine applique with my embroidery machine Patricia

I don't understand how that's done?

sewnmom 09-15-2010 07:02 PM

i'm signing up, i'd like to learn neddle turn.. thanks for gettin this started, craftybear, molly

Patricia Ann 09-15-2010 07:02 PM

It is a software program that you have for the embroidery machine.