Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   applique and crosshatching (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-crosshatching-t297286.html)

deeleigh 05-30-2018 10:27 AM

applique and crosshatching

I am going to make a applique wallhanging and want to know if I do crosshatching before applique or after? I am thinking the stitches would show under the applique. I know you smart ladies will have the answer for me. It is so hot here all I can do is stay inside and quilt! Boohoo Dee

MadQuilter 05-30-2018 10:43 AM

You do it after. You can decide if you want to do some echo quilting around the applique and then cross-hatch to the echo line or go straight to the applique.

I am doing diagonal lines on one of my projects right now and can advise that you need to use a long enough ruler to make sure your lines are consistent. My project is large and I did the top half first. Didn't realize that my angle had shifted (using rulers for the first time). Then when I did the bottom half, I stayed true to the angle. YEP - it was easy to tell that things didn't connect. So I needed to do some ripping.

feline fanatic 05-30-2018 11:33 AM

Normally the quilting would be done after but several months ago (Possibly as long as a year) I read on another forum where the maker quilted before and it made everything much easier for her because she didn't have the constant starts and stops. She posted pics of the project and you could not see the quilting lines under the applique but this was not fusible, this was a turned edge applique that was prepared with seam allowance already turned under and then hand sewn to the quilted top. Fusible could be a problem if trying to quilt before adding the applique and then yes, I believe the quilting lines would show due to the nature of fusible.

Additionally, I believe the quilter ditched around the applique after adding it.

Daffy Daphne 05-30-2018 08:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I've twice done crosshatching first and then applique. One was the border on a king size quilt, with turned edge applique:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595244[/ATTACH]

and the other, a Christmas table runner with fused applique:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]595245[/ATTACH]

It doesn't seem to me that the quilting lines are obvious under the applique in either project.

Daffy

Daffy Daphne 05-30-2018 08:28 PM

I might add, though, that the batting on the table runner was a very flat cotton. The lines might be more likely to show with a puffier batt.

Daffy

quilterpurpledog 05-31-2018 03:21 AM

I attended a work shop this past Saturday about this very thing. The instructor did all of her work by quilting her background first. Then added the applique. She had added quilting to the motifs in the design. She had a trunk show of her work. We were to go to the workshop with the background quilted. The emphasis was on the method of applique. It was a great day of learning! So, I would do the cross hatching first and then add the appliques.

hobbykat1955 05-31-2018 03:59 AM

I've done quilting before fusible wonder under...I did not do Cross Hatch but large Puzzle Piece design. Also I only fuse the edges of the applique and cut out the middle of each design. So there's no fusible in the middle that would diff show quilt lines if adhered.

Karamarie 05-31-2018 04:26 AM

Very interesting post and replies. I haven't done that much appliqué but often thought it would work better sometimes to quilt first, especially if the appliqués don't have any machine quilting on them.

deeleigh 05-31-2018 05:17 AM

Thanks everyone! I knew I could count on you. I'm going to try doing it first and cutting center out of applque. Als did anyone else not get their digest in mail today? I had to go through search and sign in Dee

mac 05-31-2018 04:36 PM

You all have inspired me to try doing some appliqueing after quilting. I always wondered if it would be easier to do it that way. We'll see what happens.

In fact, at the moment I am appliqueing Kay McKensie's tea pots to make a large wall hanging. Now, I think I might put that on hold and try a small wall hanging for a change of pace. If that works well, maybe I will do a re-think on how I am putting it together. After all, I am only three hand appliqued blocks in and it would not be a big deal to make a design change now.