Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-help-t257874.html)

shanlo 12-07-2014 10:30 AM

Applique help!

I just started hand applique. I really like hand work that's why I started doing it. But when I am done my material doesn't lay flat. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for the help in advance.

Onebyone 12-07-2014 11:03 AM

The background doesn't lay flat or the applique piece is puffy?

PaperPrincess 12-07-2014 11:07 AM

did you hoop the background?

Tartan 12-07-2014 11:12 AM

The only way I can get my background without puckers is to put my background in a non-slip embroidery hoop before appliqueing. I know a lot of people can applique without it but I think I pull my thread too tight or don't get my applique flat on the background without a hoop.

shanlo 12-07-2014 11:27 AM

No I didn't use a hoop. I thought about that too. So I will try that. Thanks

shanlo 12-07-2014 11:28 AM

I meant the applique piece.

kindleaddict63 12-07-2014 11:40 AM

How much seam allowance to you have to tuck under? what kind of method do you use - freezer paper etc? do you snip when you sew curves? a picture is worth a thousands words - can you post a picture perhaps?

Sync 12-07-2014 11:52 AM

I have one question for you. What technique did you use to place the applique piece onto the background? Did you thread baste the piece on, pin it, glue baste it or did you use freezer paper templates and starch? The applique piece will not be completely flat anyway. What also might be happening is that you are some how slightly moving the applique piece or the background as you sew. You really don't need a real tight grip on your background material. The applique stitch also should not be so tight that it causes tiny puckers.

ladyinpurple135 12-08-2014 12:49 AM

I've been appliqué get for a dog"''s age (that's a really long time!) and have never used a hoop - and have never seen any other appliquér use one either. I think that could have a great possibility of stretching fabrics. Anyway, for me I need to use a flat board on my lap - it's a perfect resting place for my left hand and allows me to fold up the piece so I can get to the appliqué and sew with my right. Sort of almost keeping the block flat but not quite. I have many friends who can just hold up their block and appliqué that way - just cannot do it. I've never had a problem with things not flat, but if you're doing needle turn appliqué the motif can get slightly poofy if it's on the large side and/or is not basted to the background well enough. With needle turn you are always just slightly pushing - very slightly - and if you haven't pinned or used some other basting it can really get pushed out of shape.

I could ramble on and on and on about hand appliqué - but I won't - yet☺️

Sandy in Mooresville, NC

kindleaddict63 12-08-2014 02:43 AM

Another thought, I usually go to youtube for some really good tutorials. If you have the time and inclination you might find some really useful hints and tips.