Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique layering advice needed please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-layering-advice-needed-please-t265106.html)

romille 05-12-2015 07:14 AM

Applique layering advice needed please

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys! I am entered in a summer themed mug rug swap... the designs should be inspired by the sun or beach. So, I decided to make a little beach scene. I started planning it out last night... this is my first ever all-by-myself-design though.

This is what I have got so far... hopefully my swap partner isn't seeing this! Anyhow.. my question is... any advice on layering the sky, water, and sand? I wasn't sure if I should cut away some of the water behind the sand in order to avoid having so many layers.

And while I have you... I still haven't decided on turned edge or raw... or how I want to stitch it down. So if you want to weigh in on that feel free!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]519479[/ATTACH]

ManiacQuilter2 05-12-2015 07:31 AM

The sky would be the backing, then you just add things on in layers as you did from your drawing: the mountain and then the beach, towel, umbrella and lastly the sun. I would at least do a buttonhole stitch if you don't do needle turn. Have Fun. Cute idea. I would have just done a pair of flip flops on a sand fabric!!

KSellers 05-12-2015 07:40 AM

I LOVE your sun. If you're just making a few, I'd needle turn. But if you're making a good number of them I'd
machine stitch. Kathy

romille 05-12-2015 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by KSellers (Post 7193338)
I LOVE your sun. If you're just making a few, I'd needle turn. But if you're making a good number of them I'd
machine stitch. Kathy

Thanks! I came up with the idea after seeing this: http://www.acraftyfox.net/tutorial/i...late-tutorial/

I used their blade template and drew my own circle using a stencil because I wanted one larger than their template. When I stitched the blades, I used a 1/4" seam and then trimmed it to about a scant 1/8" and pressed them open. I used a bit of fray check to keep the threads from unraveling in the seams, because I didn't want to bulk them up too much with back stitching since the blades were so small.

crafty pat 05-12-2015 08:12 AM

I do a lot of that kind of work and I usually go with what looks best with the picture I want. I would needle turn where the sky meets the water and the water meets the beach as it would look more natural. I love what you are doing it is going to be so cute.

romille 05-12-2015 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by crafty pat (Post 7193373)
I do a lot of that kind of work and I usually go with what looks best with the picture I want. I would needle turn where the sky meets the water and the water meets the beach as it would look more natural. I love what you are doing it is going to be so cute.

Thanks... I was thinking needle turn was probably the way to go. I have very limited experience with it though, and have never done hand applique (although I am doing EPP now) ... this might be an excellent opportunity to practice.

applique 05-13-2015 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by romille (Post 7193500)
Thanks... I was thinking needle turn was probably the way to go. I have very limited experience with it though, and have never done hand applique (although I am doing EPP now) ... this might be an excellent opportunity to practice.

I would use Fray Block instead of Fray Check. It is softer and if you are going to needle through it, it is much easier.

romille 05-13-2015 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by applique (Post 7194227)
I would use Fray Block instead of Fray Check. It is softer and if you are going to needle through it, it is much easier.

Thanks for the tip! I will look for some.

tkhooper 05-13-2015 06:49 AM

Since it is a mug rug you need to use a technique that will survive washing. Snacks are sweet and sticky and my coffee never stays in the mugs. But that's just my two cents worth. Great design.

jolo 05-13-2015 06:54 AM

I agree. I do needleturn. I dont usually trim out behind pieces.Jo