Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique method (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-method-t272403.html)

Claire123 11-18-2015 11:40 PM

Applique method

What applique method have you had the best luck with? Do you like it because it's faster/easier or because you like the overall appearance when it's finished? I'm torn and really can't decide...

Bree123 11-19-2015 12:00 AM

Needle turn because it's portable, I don't have to spend oodles of time ironing fabrics & I really love the finish. Also, it's so much easier to only stitch through fabric instead of trying to run an applique needle through fusible web.

But there is a place in this world for all types of applique & I've tried all the different methods -- machine stitched raw edge (button hole, straight stitch), hand stitched raw edge, freezer paper, needle turn. Sometimes I will combine different techniques together in the same quilt, especially if it's a detailed design where my needle turn skills will not give me a detailed result.

I only just got a machine that does machine applique earlier this year so I'm not very good at it, but the children's hospital by me will only take donations if they are 100% machine stitched so it's nice that I can now add some of the designs that I really love to my charity quilts without having to borrow someone else's machine.

PS -- I forgot to mention that I do raw edge stitched by hand for felted wool applique since you obviously cannot turn wool & I like the look of perle cotton (which you cannot run through machine).

mawluv 11-19-2015 02:10 AM

I love the method of sewing applique to ironed dryer sheet or very light weight interfacing, making a slit in the interfacing, turning and stitching it down by blanket or applique stitch with invisible thread. I can no longer hand stitch, so this works great for me!!!

donnajean 11-19-2015 03:43 AM

Almost all of my appliques were done with Seam A Seam 2. I like that you can adhere the applique and re-position if necessary before ironing permanently. My Viking Rose has a stitch which looks like hand stitching and I use YLI Wonder invisible thread.

sewingitalltogether 11-19-2015 04:34 AM

I do most of my applique needle turn. I make freezer paper templates. Although for quick applique projects I will do the iron on, finishing the seams with invisible thread and a zig zag machine stitch.

Feathers-N-Fur 11-19-2015 05:01 AM

If there are small or delicate pieces to the appliqué I do raw edge with fusible web. If the pieces are bigger, I do quick turn appliqué with light weight interfacing. Then it depend on the project if I stick it down by hand or machine. I haven't learned needle turn yet, but will someday.

bjchad 11-19-2015 05:06 AM

I mostly use the modified needle turn method where you prepare the pieces by perturning the edges and iron with starch. Then hand applique down. Works well for me.

youngduncan 11-19-2015 05:10 AM

I really like the look of fused applique with satin stitch edges. I may use matching rayon thread, or sometimes I like to use a dark color to give the finished project a coloring page look.

ManiacQuilter2 11-19-2015 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 (Post 7380775)
But there is a place in this world for all types of applique & I've tried all the different methods -- machine stitched raw edge (button hole, straight stitch), hand stitched raw edge, freezer paper, needle turn.

Sometimes it depends on rather if it a wall quilt or something that may be washed often such as a bed quilt.

toverly 11-19-2015 06:11 AM

mawluv, you are sew smart. I have lots of those dryer sheets stuck in my bedrooms trashcan where I fold the laundry. I've had an orange peel on my bucket list for a while but hate to needle turn. I think dryer sheets will do the trick. Thank you.