Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique and pressing sheet question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-pressing-sheet-question-t320283.html)

Julienm1 03-17-2023 07:04 AM

Applique and pressing sheet question

Friend gave me lots of applique kits. Everything in one kit has all pieces fued and trimmed. Have the pattern/lay out sheet.

Question:.. what is the easiest way to lay out the pieces on the backing?

Is the pressing sheet only used during the "fusing" process?

Pattern is a floral bouquet so lots of tiny pieces.

She gave me several applique kits so really need help with this.

Quiltwoman44 03-17-2023 07:29 AM

I have a brown roll up teflon pressing sheet and also one that i can see through. I use one under and one on top sometimes.

Julienm1 03-17-2023 07:40 AM

??? is...do you still use the layout sheet that came with the pattern so pieces are placed correctly prior to pressing and stitching.

SallyS 03-17-2023 09:25 AM

Try placing the clear pressing sheet over the pattern. Layout pieces on that so placement is clear. Cover with second pressing sheet and press again. I've found this to be the easiest, most accurate way.

Another option is to copy the pattern with a black Sharpie onto freezer paper, lay it over the background fabric, cut out each piece and press it in place. I use Steam-A-Seam 2 on the back of each pattern piece because its easy to position and move when necessary. You're in for lots of fun, learning and satisfaction!

cindi 03-17-2023 11:59 AM

I use my pressing sheet to build my applique. I lay the main piece on the pressing sheet, lay the next piece on and lightly tack it with an iron, then keep building and tacking until the applique is complete. Then I lay a piece of parchment paper on top of the completed piece and fully fuse it all together. I can then peel the applique from the pressing sheet and apply it as one single piece to my block.

Julienm1 03-17-2023 12:22 PM

So when you have the new applique piece how do you know WHERE to put it on the background. Are yu guessing?

cindi 03-17-2023 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julienm1 (Post 8593170)
So when you have the new applique piece how do you know WHERE to put it on the background. Are yu guessing?

If you’re talking about the block, applique is normally centered, so I’ll fold the background fabric in half, then in half again, creating an X on the fabric and center the appliqué on it. If you’re talking about the applique I don’t put it on the background fabric until the applique piece has been built. So, for example, if it’s a flower you’ll build from bottom to top - biggest piece to smallest pieces. You pretty much eyeball where to place according to the pattern they give you. It’s impossible to completely build an applique with a pattern underneath, as your first large piece will cover the pattern.

cashs_mom 03-17-2023 07:43 PM

You can place the applique anywhere you want. The pattern is a suggestion and not law.

Julienm1 03-20-2023 04:39 PM

So today I was talking with my sewing buddy who IMHO is the queen of applique how she does it. She said many times she just layers and fuses but with a detailed pattern I was working on she gave me the steps she follows:
Tape the actual pattern (finished size) to a light box
Tape background over pattern.
Lay pressing sheet on top of background fabric
Lay pieces on top of pressing sheet that is over the pattern
Fuse
Sew.
She said depending on how many layers to an actual applique piece, you may have to "layer" more than once.
I may have missed a step or two but this is her method and the proceedure I was trying to figure out.