Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique ... prewash? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-prewash-t266250.html)

quiltykim 06-10-2015 07:58 PM

Applique ... prewash?

Hi all,

Normally when I make quilts I never prewash the fabric. However, I am making a quilt with an appliqué piece on the quilt and wonder if it is still ok to not prewash the fabric?

Kim

RST 06-10-2015 08:33 PM

What applique method do you plan to use?

When I do needle turn or freezer paper, I prefer not to wash -- I find the fabric with sizing on it is easier to handle and looks crisper.

Sometimes, with a fusible, I think it is better to prewash, but I don't have a firm rule on that. I just know that there are some fabrics (house brand of a very popular online /catalogue fabric source) that will visibly shrink when you press -- and you obviously need to press using a fusible. A tighter weave like a batik, I think you can get away with not pre-washing.

If you're doing a major project with a lot invested, consider doing a small sample with both unwashed and pre-washed, quilt them up, maybe as a potholder or a small zipper bag, and see how they fare after washing. If nothing else, you'll have an evidence-based reason for your choice as opposed to fear/worst case scenario basis.

ManiacQuilter2 06-11-2015 04:44 AM

I agree with what RST stated. Also you have to consider how often this applique quilt will be washed.

bearisgray 06-11-2015 05:46 AM

I had a cute skirt with big red appliqued flowers and big green leaves on it.

Washed the skirt. Had uneven shrinkage. The skirt is very unattractive now - even for a costume.

RST 06-11-2015 07:52 AM

My rules for clothing are different than for quilted projects. When you quilt, you are essentially stabilizing the pieced portion with both the batt and the backing. If you quilt heavily, as I do, you will have some shrinking after washing, but it will be quite even and not distort the finished project.

I almost never do garment sewing anymore, but when I did, I always, always prewash. Size does matter with garments, and I wanted fabrics to declare themselves before I went to the trouble of making an outfit. Also, very big appliques on a garment? That would be a big red flag to proceed with caution and think carefully about technique chosen. I'd probably want to stabilize appliques on a garment, with a fairly stout interfacing or something on the back. But honestly, I've never put appliques on a skirt, so take Beairisgay's advice there.

yngldy 06-11-2015 07:58 AM

I only hand applique and I don't usually prewash, but lately I find that the skin on my fingers and cuticles start drying and peeling. Between projects they are fine, but when I start another project it comes back. I will prewash the next project and see if it makes a difference. I don't know if it is the chemicals in the fabric, or handling the fabric more than in piecing, but if you have sensitive skin, it would be a good idea to prewash.

MarLeClair 06-11-2015 09:46 AM

Sometimes when in doubt I will cut off a little piece of material and wash it in the sink. Reds, blues, purples, black, all might have a tendency to bleed. Normally I don't per wash. I do needle turn and there is too much work in the quilt to ruin it by bleeding.

quiltykim 06-11-2015 03:46 PM

Thank you Marilyn!

quiltykim 06-11-2015 03:47 PM

Thanks! It will be a baby quilt with turned edge. Thanks a bunch for your ideas!

quiltykim 06-11-2015 03:48 PM

Bummer! That would be unfortunate :(