Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t123314.html)

GrammaPatches 05-15-2011 02:39 PM

I am starting to do my first applique quilt. The applique itself will have two fabrics--black and yellow. (Do you know what the applique is?) Should I stitch all in black or do I stitch in black on the black fabric and stitch in yellow on the yellow fabric? Is there a "right" way?

mimom 05-15-2011 02:42 PM

you are supposed to use thread the color of your applique piece not the color of the base

KathyAire 05-15-2011 03:04 PM

I've always used the color thread the same as the piece that I'm appliqueing but recently seen a block on this forum that was appliqued all in black and it looked wonderful. I didn't bookmark it and don't know the name, but trust me, it looked good.
There isn't a rule, it's whatever looks good to you.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 05-15-2011 03:25 PM

Many antique quilts have the applique pieces all sewn down with black.

I generally match the color of the thread to the pices, but I've also used invisible thread.

JulieTN 05-15-2011 03:37 PM

Relax, and realize the choice is a personal one. THERE IS NO RIGHT OR WRONG! I always think when i use the same color thread as what I am appliquing down 9like black with black) it gives a more refined look. While any contrasting color makes for a more country or relax look. Make a smaple of each, and decide after that.

Julie :-o

amma 05-15-2011 04:37 PM

I try out threads on a sample piece and see which look I like the best if I am machine sewing the applique down. If sewing by hand, using an invisible stitch, you will want to use a matching thread :D:D:D

earthwalker 05-15-2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by mimom
you are supposed to use thread the color of your applique piece not the color of the base

This is how I applique, but the others are right too. It can, depending on the design, look great stitched with black, or a slightly different shade of the applique colour. Do a practice piece and see what you like. Or post a pic here and you will get loads of opinions and advice.

Scissor Queen 05-15-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by mimom

If you have a stitch that shows it'll disappear better if the thread matches the background.

If you're doing machine applique you can pretty much do what ever looks good to you. Matching thread, contrasting thread, invisible thread, etc.

GrammaPatches 05-17-2011 08:43 PM

Thanks everyone. I was leaning towards same color thread but was thinking twice on all the starts and stops. In my heart, I knew I would do it the right way.

kem77 05-17-2011 08:53 PM

I think one of the ways I think of it is how well you want them to see your stiches. You are not comfortable with good stiching then I would stick close to the project colors.I myself love showing the stich look. I agree with making a sample to help with your choice.