Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t149562.html)

Kitsie 09-01-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by pam7858
I have Wonder Under and iron it on to fuse the pieces onto my quilt top. But is there a secret to the inital ironing it on the back of the pieces? I have sticky stuff all over my ironing board. Do you put a scrap cloth that you can throw away, or how do I do this "cleanly" Thanks !!

Are you peeling off the paper cover from both sides of the WU at this point? The side you iron should still have "paper" on it which you peel off before fusing it to the background.

Good luck!!

jljack 09-01-2011 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I just iron it to a piece of fabric that's bigger than the piece of Wonder Under. I cut my appliques out after I iron the WU to fabric.

Exactly....trace the shape onto the fusible web, then roughly cut around it. Fuse the piece to the back of your fabric, then do the final cutting of the shape. You won't get any fusible onto the ironing board, and it's a whole lot easier to do it this way.

katz_n_kwiltz 09-01-2011 11:25 AM

ah yes, the sticky part of wu- well i love parchment paper!!
you can use it and throw it away. and if it sticks, its no biggie!!
best of luck,
katz

pam7858 09-01-2011 11:38 AM

thanks so much for you input. I knew you all would solve my problem. When I am making my own I'll fuse fabric then cut shapes. When I'm using precuts I'll use the cookie sheet stuff. THANKS TO ALL !

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie
I always iron the fusable to the fabric before cutting it out. That way the fussable is all the way to the edge of the piece. I never have a sticky mess doing it this way.
Sue

quilter68 09-01-2011 12:01 PM

In the baking section of the grocery store there is 'parchment paper'. It is cheap and great for all my applique pieces.

ckcowl 09-01-2011 12:06 PM

draw the applique shape on the paper side of the wonder-under- press the fusable to the back side of the fabric---cut out the shape= no fusable should get on anything except the fabric you are adhereing it to.
after cutting out your shape- fuse it to the back ground- no muss-no fuss-no mess

grumpy90650 09-02-2011 06:01 AM

they sell applique teflon sheets to protect your iron and board....wont do applique without it....

My time 09-02-2011 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by quilter68
In the baking section of the grocery store there is 'parchment paper'. It is cheap and great for all my applique pieces.

Yes I use parchment paper as well.

JudyG 09-02-2011 06:30 AM

I read a trick the other day about protecting your ironing board. If you're going to be working with anything sticky, or doing a lot of starching, iron down a piece of freezer paper on your ironing board, do your work, and then pull the freezer paper up and your board is still nice and clean. I've been doing that. Works great.

Normacharlie 09-02-2011 06:38 AM

I cut the pieces out after I press it to wonder under but you might try using parchment paper if you prefer the other way. I love parchment paper for so many things.