Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-question-t9311.html)

Joy K. 07-21-2008 12:59 PM

When you machine applique a quilt top with the buttonhole stitch, do you do it through the top, batting and backing all at one time? I've been doing the top separately, then after adding the batting and backing, I stitch around all my figures with the nylon thread. What do you do?

Lisa 07-21-2008 01:07 PM

I do my applique to the top and then put it all together for the final quilting.

Izy 07-21-2008 01:12 PM

Yep complete the top with applique, then layer up and quilt!! I think most quilters do it in this order, or correct me if anybody else uses a different technique out there!! :D

Skeat 07-21-2008 01:23 PM

Joy, I ditto Lisa:))I've done stitcheries for quilts sandwiching a batting and backing first...then add the quilt blocks...but, reg appliq. I do the batting after all appliq is all done. If it is too thin of fabric or a smaller piece to appliq, I have used fusing on the back for thickness. Then tear it away when done. Boy, I bet you are confused now;))Skeat

Skeat 07-21-2008 01:23 PM

Oops...I ditto Izy too!!:))

patricej 07-21-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Izy
Yep complete the top with applique, then layer up and quilt!! I think most quilters do it in this order, or correct me if anybody else uses a different technique out there!! :D

i will not "correct" you because you are not wrong. i'll bet "most quilters" don't.

however, being the stubborn, trouble-makin' daredevil that i am, i have done the applique-as-quilting. if you use the same color thread on top and bobbin, and get the tension set just right, it looks pretty kewl. sometimes, even two different thread colors can create an interesting effect.

and sometimes it doesn't. :oops: :shock: :lol:

Skeat 07-21-2008 01:38 PM

That does sound interesting Patrice. I will have to give it a try...just don't know if I can hold my tongue right in my mouth to do it:))LOL I wonder how many I prob walked past in quilt shows and never realized. Now I'll be dropping my purse alot to peek under those quilts:))Skeat

tlrnhi 07-22-2008 05:34 AM

I always do the applique first, then bat and back it.
I have however, embroidered the entire quilt. Instead of quilting, I used embroidery designs. Sort of like the tying method, but with little embroidery designs. Clear as mud, right?

Skeat 07-22-2008 05:34 AM

Here's the good trick to that Loretta...I did this on a fluke and it worked great!! I traced the pattern in pencil on the fabric I was going to do the stitchery on(batik). I put the batik fabric on the front, a thin poly batting in the middle and a piece of cheap cream colored fabric for the back. I safety pinned it in place as not to move on me. I used a hoop and 'backstitched' my DMC thread on the stitchery and it puts it in nice and tight (looking). When it was all done...I steam pressed them flat. The poly batting shrunk!! Prob the scientific word would be melted:))It was great!! Made for a thinner piece to sew my blocks on and it looks sharp. Plus the fact I think it will really lock in the stitches. I so recommend trying this for all. I am not sure w/my red DMC on white that I am working on, how it will look. I am going to do a test run for I don't want the red to run and not sure it will or not. I'll let you know on that color when I get there. My last one was stitched on a tannish batik and the stitchery was done in a coppery color and all was just fine. Hope this makes sense:))Skeat

Skeat 07-22-2008 05:38 AM

PS...when you are all done assembling the quilt w/the stitchery blocks..then add your reg quilt batting and backing...quilt as usual. It's a 'good thing':0)Skeat