Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-t110935.html)

Summer Spice 03-26-2011 03:15 PM

Brandi, I use the Gutterman, single strand but also use bees wax if I find it tangling. I have better luck if I cut my thread no more than 18" long. Hope this helps.

brushandthimble 03-26-2011 03:18 PM

are you talking about hand applique? Any nice THIN thread will do, some prefer (I am one) that like silk thread to do my hand applique.

If you are using a spool thread the needle from the loose end not the end you are cutting. If you are using a bobbin thread the needle from the fresh cut end. Less tangles:)

Stacey 03-26-2011 04:55 PM

Silk thread. Stitches won't show.

Maride 03-26-2011 05:07 PM

You will get as many answers as there are quilters. It all depends on what you want to accomplish. I can not answer for hand applique, because I don't do THAT! For machine, each project may require something different. I love to do black with a satin stitch if I want the piece to look cartoonish. If I want to bring up the applique rather than the edges I use a fine thread that match the color of the piece and stitch with a very small blanket stitch. If I want it to look more rustic I use a double blanket stitch with a color determined by how much I want for it to show. Sometimes I want the edges to get more attention, and I then use a bright color or a variegated, with a big double blanket stitch. I have also done some raw edge, and I just use a straight stitch about 1/8 inch or less inside the edge of the piece, and again, the color depends on how much I want for it to show.

Candace 03-26-2011 05:33 PM

I use Aurifil 50 wt. to match the applique piece. It sinks into the fabric nicely and I also use this for machine piecing, so I've got lots on hand. I know silk is wonderful, but I refuse to buy a bunch of extra thread for applique. I use what I already have and have found out a lot of others use Aurilfil for hand applique too.

feline fanatic 03-26-2011 05:40 PM

I have just entered into the realm of hand applique and I am using YLI silk thread and loving it. The stitches really do disappear. I have 5 colors ranging from a dark brown to a white. I bought the assortment from CT. The mediums are a greenish color but they are blending in beautifully on all the different fabrics I am using. I just try to match the shade.

Brandi 03-26-2011 06:50 PM

Thanks for all your replys. I mostly have regular thread and quilting thread. I don't have any silk thread.

ckcowl 03-27-2011 02:43 AM

for hand applique i use silk thread, it comes in so many wonderful colors, is thin, strong and disappears - it is very smooth -glides nicely. for machine applique i use what every thread is the correct color and weight for what i am appliquing-- for wool applique i use wool threads, and purol cottons most of the time but also use silk floss and other specialty flosses/threads. 50-weight or higher (the higher the number the thinner the thread) in a color that matches or is one shade darker- or a neutral the will blend.

capucine 03-27-2011 02:45 AM

Hi Brandi Below link is what i use for hand applique i try to match the color i am not sure of the equivalent in the USA as i am in Australia they have lots of colors and i use 2 threads for the hand applique i really enjoy hand applique and have made a few. :) good luck

http://www.coatscrafts.co.uk/Product...or+Marlitt.htm

Originally Posted by Brandi
Thanks for all your replys. I mostly have regular thread and quilting thread. I don't have any silk thread.

quiltmaker 03-27-2011 03:20 AM

For hand applique I like silk, embroidery thread and sewing thread for my appliques depending on the look I am trying to achieve. I use the colors to match the piece and fabric as best as possible.

For machine applique I use my King Tut trying to match the fabric color as best as I can.

As Maride said you're going to get as many answers here as there are people. It just comes down to what you prefer.