Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-t219800.html)

quiltingnd 04-23-2013 08:07 AM

Applique

Can I applique a small heart on a quilt without anything fancy? Just the heart itself? Or do I need the heat and bond paper (?) Not sure what that's called.

Peckish 04-23-2013 08:16 AM

Absolutely. You do not have to use fusible web. There are several methods of applique: needleturn, where you cut out the shape and hand-sew it to the fabric, turning the seam allowance under with the needle as you go. Or you could use the template-and-starch method, where you use heat-resistant template plastic (or double layers of freezer paper) cut in your shape of choice, then press the seam allowance over the edge of the template. Or you could use the raw-edge applique method, where typically you'd fuse the applique piece to the fabric, then stitch around the shape using a blanket stitch or satin stitch. I've had success using washable school glue instead of fusible web. This way I can sew the applique patch on, then carefully pull apart the glued pieces and cut away the backing fabric.

Here is a series of how-to videos and instructions for applique, this quilter makes beautiful quilts. Hope this helps!

http://erinrussek.typepad.com/one-pi...lique-lessons/

ptquilts 04-23-2013 08:18 AM

sure, I would just do it.

AZ Jane 04-23-2013 08:18 AM

Yes, LOL. Now - machine or hand appliqué? Machine applique, you might need a stabilizer on the back if the stitches pull. Try a couple of testers first, then add to quilt. You can use paper to stabilize, don't forget to remove the paper! Or heat and bond, use light weight, then trim close to the appliqué. If hand applique, you may not need a stabilizer. OK, Now I'm getting confused!!

Machine appliqué - may need a stabilizer, try a sample first
Hand appliqué - should not need one but might, try a sample first

toolazy 04-23-2013 09:05 AM

For machine applique, you usually only need a stabilizer if you're going to use a heavy, dense stitch like satin stitch. For straight stitch or, say, a fairly open blanket stitch, you don't need anything.

For finished-edge applique, I press or baste raw edges under, pin or baste to the backing / quilt square, and sew either by machine or by hand. I have used fusibles but mostly don't care for them.

Jingle 04-23-2013 09:14 AM

I would just a simple needle turn applique. Looks softer than using the fusible stabilizer.

Nammie to 7 04-24-2013 03:37 PM

There just are no easy answers are there - one question creates other questions. What method did you choose to do?

tate_elliott 04-24-2013 04:44 PM

I've appliqued only a little, but here's two methods I've used. I've cut a shape out and used a glue stick to hold it in place while I zigzaged around it. Most glue sticks wash right out, but hold pretty good.

The other method was to applique a two or three inch letter A. I chose a font I liked in Word and printed the A out in a large size. I cut the paper letter out with an inch or so around it. Then I put the fabric for the A down on the other fabric and put the paper A on top of it all and pinned it all together. I stitched carefully around the edges of the paper letter A with a straight stitch, then tore the paper away. Then I used small scissors to cut just outside the stitches to form the fabric letter A. Finally I zigzagged around the letter. I read this method on the board.

Oh, and someone mentioned on here recently that you don't have set your machine to zigzag tightly, just zigzag around once and then go around again, if you want.

I would practice first.

Tate

Peckish 04-24-2013 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by tate_elliott (Post 6024073)
Oh, and someone mentioned on here recently that you don't have set your machine to zigzag tightly, just zigzag around once and then go around again, if you want.

I would practice first.

Tate

I strongly second this. One of my very first quilts was an appliqued wall hanging. I did a satin stitch (tight zigzag) around a complex celtic knot. That sucker is so wavy I should bring it to ball games to do The Wave all by itself. :D

faykilgore 04-25-2013 04:10 AM

I love this board!