Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Applique Work Please Help?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applique-work-please-help-t282622.html)

mountain-moma 09-30-2016 11:25 AM

Applique Work Please Help??

Can someone help me Please with how they are holding down their applique work? So I can Hand Sew it down I have a Coal Miner to applique down and i don't really know where to start.I even thought about going and buying some Wonder Under to hold it to the other material.Can you give you're thoughts on this.Thanks In Advance Blessings

sewingitalltogether 09-30-2016 11:47 AM

If it's hand applique, I secure my pieces with a dot or 2 of glue or a pin. Glue is easier and it won't get in the way of your stitching. Lots of kinds of glue they use from Kids school glue to a Roxannes Glue Baste-it. If you have never applique, watch a couple of u tube video s.

quiltingcandy 09-30-2016 12:05 PM

I like to use glue but also have used the small appliqué pins. (They are about 1/2 inch long) Depending on the size of the piece I am appliquéing I would glue it down and after it dries put in a few well places pins, just to keep it from coming unglued.

MadQuilter 09-30-2016 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7665337)
I like to use glue but also have used the small appliqué pins. (They are about 1/2 inch long) Depending on the size of the piece I am appliquéing I would glue it down and after it dries put in a few well places pins, just to keep it from coming unglued.

That's what I do too. A lot depends on the shape of the applique.

MadQuilter 09-30-2016 12:14 PM

I tried to edit my post but it won't let me so here is an addition: When you use the glue, make sure that you don't put any glue dots in the seam allowance. (Ask me why I make a point of this, lol). Since most seam allowance is 1/4" or less, I'd say to place the glue about 1/2" from the edge and you'll be fine. Also, you don't need a lot of glue. I like Roxanne's Glue Baste because it comes with a fabulous long tip that allows placement of the dots with great precision.

Tartan 09-30-2016 12:17 PM

If this is your first applique project and you have a lot of detail, I suggest you use Wonder Under and fuse the applique to a background fabric and then machine stitch around the edge with a buttonhole or satin stitch.

Lilrain 09-30-2016 01:48 PM

Agree, if inexperienced, fusing may work best. If you need this for something soon. You can view on-line videos and practice at your leisure for future projects.

Bree123 09-30-2016 03:08 PM

For needle turn applique, I use applique pins.
For turned edge applique, I used Roxanne's Glue Baste-It.
For fused applique, I use Misty Fuse or Pellon 805 (except for wool applique, when I use Heat & Bond). The one thing to keep in mind with fusible is that it gets stiffer the longer it sits on the fabric, so you want to apply it as close to when you are actually going to be stitching it as possible.

quiltingshorttimer 09-30-2016 04:49 PM

you're going to needle turn? I use either washable glue or a snip of Misty Fuse to hold it down.

Peckish 09-30-2016 05:20 PM

I use tiny dots of Elmer's washable school glue. Washable means it will wash out and not leave any residue or stain, and it's easy enough to pull the backing apart and cut it away after sewing the applique on.

I got tired of poking myself with pins, or getting my thread caught around a pin.