Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Appliqued block letters?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/appliqued-block-letters-t201367.html)

GailG 09-24-2012 12:10 AM

Appliqued block letters??

I am struggling. I'm trying to applique block letters onto my grandson's quilt and am having a heck of a time getting them done. Tried just turning the edges down and hand stitching. What a mess?
Tried stitching interfacing on the back and turning to the right side. Well, I got those letters backwards! It was just not my day -- and I think the letters are too small. I've looked several places for patterns, but can't find just simple block letters that would be about 4 or 5 inches tall. Any ideas would be so appreciated. Gail

QM 09-24-2012 12:49 AM

I do applique regularly, but would suggest piecing them. Pieced block letter patterns are available in many places. Use your search engine. Coloring pages probably have them. I use QuiltPro, which has them. What letters do you need?
Learning to use mirror images can be a real pain.

katier825 09-24-2012 01:25 AM

Do you have Microsoft Word or another word processing program on your computer? I type what I want into Word and enlarge the font. You can go higher than the font size listed, just highlight the letters and size at the top and type in higher numbers. On my pc, 460 size font is about 4". You type the letters you need, print them out. Hold up to a window or light box and trace the fusible using the back side of the letters. When you fuse them, they will be right side up.

Teacup 09-24-2012 02:00 AM

Agree to use your computer and look for a font that will work for applique. Pick one that is not too fancy with a lot of serifs (the "feet" at the tops and bottoms of the letters). Otherwise you'll have a lot of extra corners to deal with. Try a sample with a raw edge applique method, satin stitch or buttonhole stitch. Use the fusible backing or try a glue stick for paper. Be sure to put something under your stitching area so the threads don't bunch. You don't have to use one of the expensive products unless you want to. I use tissue paper like you use for wrapping presents. I know some use paper towels. If you've not done satin stitch before, look for a tutorial online. There's some small tricks about turning corners/curves and where to stop with the needle down that will make your project smoother.

Here's a link to free tutorials on applique at Connecting Threads. http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tutorials.html

QM 09-24-2012 02:51 AM

I just looked up alphabet coloring pages and found several suitable choices.

QuiltnNan 09-24-2012 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5536918)
... enlarge the font. You can go higher than the font size listed, just highlight the letters and size at the top and type in higher numbers. On my pc, 460 size font is about 4"....

i did not know you could go bigger... thanks!

Tartan 09-24-2012 06:44 AM

I use wonderunder and machine appliqué my letters down. I bought a set of the cardboard Alphabet letters from Staples that I use. They are the 3 inch ones for Teachers? I flip them over to trace around them on the paper side of the wonderunder, cut them out and fuse them down. Bonnie Hunter's friend Tanya has a book for doing free form pieced letters. It might be available at www.quiltville.com.

GailG 09-24-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by QM (Post 5536902)
I do applique regularly, but would suggest piecing them. Pieced block letter patterns are available in many places. Use your search engine. Coloring pages probably have them. I use QuiltPro, which has them. What letters do you need?
Learning to use mirror images can be a real pain.

I need CHS, NHS, and ULL- - so the letters are C,H,S,N,U,and L. I never thought about coloring pages. Thanks.

GailG 09-24-2012 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5536918)
Do you have Microsoft Word or another word processing program on your computer? I type what I want into Word and enlarge the font. You can go higher than the font size listed, just highlight the letters and size at the top and type in higher numbers. On my pc, 460 size font is about 4". You type the letters you need, print them out. Hold up to a window or light box and trace the fusible using the back side of the letters. When you fuse them, they will be right side up.

I have Microsoft Word. I didn't know about getting the font larger than the largest font size given. Thanks. I will try that.

GailG 09-24-2012 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by Teacup (Post 5536936)
Agree to use your computer and look for a font that will work for applique. Pick one that is not too fancy with a lot of serifs (the "feet" at the tops and bottoms of the letters). Otherwise you'll have a lot of extra corners to deal with. Try a sample with a raw edge applique method, satin stitch or buttonhole stitch. Use the fusible backing or try a glue stick for paper. Be sure to put something under your stitching area so the threads don't bunch. You don't have to use one of the expensive products unless you want to. I use tissue paper like you use for wrapping presents. I know some use paper towels. If you've not done satin stitch before, look for a tutorial online. There's some small tricks about turning corners/curves and where to stop with the needle down that will make your project smoother.

Here's a link to free tutorials on applique at Connecting Threads. http://www.connectingthreads.com/tut...tutorials.html

Thanks for the good advice. My quilt is already made and quilted. I wanted the applique above the quilting (didn't want the machine stitching to go through the appliques nor did I want to stop and start everytime I reached a letter or other applique. (Call me lazy:o) So the pieces will need to be appliqued by hand. And yes, I do want a simple block letter about 4 or 5 inches tall.