Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Appliquer want to be - needs help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/appliquer-want-needs-help-t43453.html)

Suz 04-24-2010 07:10 AM

I, too, have taken two classes from Karen Kaye. She is an excellent and fun teacher. She lives about 45 miles from here and taught us (some guild members) once a month for a year - did this twice. I did a Baltimore Album using Elly Sienkwiez's book and another using Karen's book "Friends and Flowers". This quilt obviously has lots of 3D flowers but also a different bug, butterfly, little creature in every block.

I was fortunate enough to have my Baltimore Album shown at the Lancaster Quilt Show in 2007. Didn't expect to win, but was pleased to be invited to show.

You will learn a lot from Karen. Suzanne

Joan in AK 04-24-2010 07:40 AM

Thank you for the info on Karen Kay Buckley. I am getting so much helpful information to get me started.

hilda Vest 04-24-2010 11:27 AM

Some quilters turn as they go, but I like to gently baste the piece by before I place it on the background, then I blindstitch by hand. You can also fuse it, first, to the piece you're going to applique. Be sure and leave a small amount to turn.
After you applique it, then you can cut through the back and tear out the part you fused.
Madelaide

hilda Vest 04-24-2010 11:28 AM

Some quilters turn as they go, but I like to gently baste the piece before I place it on the background, then I blindstitch by hand. You can also fuse it, first, to the piece you're going to applique. Be sure and leave a small amount to turn.
After you applique it, then you can cut through the back and tear out the part you fused.
Madelaide

marymm 04-24-2010 08:12 PM

If you have a quilt store or guild nearby offering applique classes, I'd strongly recommend you take a couple. When I first started quilting, I took a 5 or 6 week class and each week we learned a different basic technique. I had a finished project in each style. You might choose a simple pattern and do it in several techniques and see what you like. There are so many great teachers available.

AnneR 04-24-2010 09:32 PM

The Sunbonnet Sue would look great with a buttonhole stitch,a lot of the antique ones where done like that,Anne

craftybear 04-24-2010 09:46 PM

thanks for the link and love this thread!

zz-pd 04-25-2010 12:31 AM

thank you all for the info. God bless. Penny

Janis 05-05-2010 10:46 PM

I love to hand applique, and have used the freezer paper method, the method where you turn under your raw edges and use a glue stick to hold your seam allowance down. The one I really like is to draw your final shape on the right side of fusable interfacing, and sew around the outline with the fusable side to the right side of the fabric. Next cut around the sewn together pieces leaving a narrow amount of fabric on the outside of the seam line. Cut a slit in the interfacing, clip curves as necessary, and turn right side out. Your applique piece can now be ironed onto your fabric, and stitched down however you wish, by hand or machine. I like to hand stitch it down, catching the fabric of the applique just to the side edge of the fold where the seam is between the fabric and the interfacing. My stitches usually don't show doing it this way, or if they do, one has to look very close to see them. I hope this helps. Janis

mojo11 05-11-2010 01:14 PM

Karen Kay Buckley has a great DVD. So does Piece of Cake. Kathy Delaney also has one. Good books out there unless I have bought all of them already. LOL