Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   applying labels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/applying-labels-t60865.html)

betty56 08-22-2010 06:43 PM

Hello, I am new to this board, and fairly new to quilting. I need to start adding labels to my finished quilts and I don't remember how to do that. I have purchased those label panels but now I am stuck. What is the best way to apply them to the back of a quilt? Any advise? Thank you.

lynnie 08-22-2010 06:43 PM

i handstitch labelw to the back

cherylynne 08-22-2010 07:01 PM

I use those labels, too. I just turn the edge under and blind stitch them down. The neater the stitches the better it looks.

PMY in QCA-IL 08-22-2010 07:07 PM

I like to handsew a label to the back (lower right) corner of the quilt before the quilting is finished. I think that just makes it that more difficult to remove a label if someone was so inclined. After filling out your desired info on the label (using a permanent Pigma - type marker), turn under the raw edges and sew to the back.

Jim's Gem 08-22-2010 10:19 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
I use basting spray and then hand sew in the lower right hand corner

Shelbie 08-23-2010 03:39 AM

I use pre-printed labels all the time but hate trying to tuck in all the little ends. What I do is stitch lightweight stabalizer to the front of the label using a 1/4" seam all around, slash the stabilizer to allow you to flip it to the back, iron and this encases all the edges. You don't even need to stitch up the turning slash as it will be on the back and hidden. With all the edges encased, it is simple to top stitch the label on by machine or hand stitch it if you wish. The lightweight stabilizer just gives the label a little more body and I often do my writing on my label after I have it prepared as it is easier to write on it then. Light weight stabilizer (mostly used for embroidery designs) comes on rolls about 10" wide and is not that expensive. A roll lasts a really long time and I can cut out enough for two labels per width. I often prepare and stitch labels ahead so that I can just grab one and write. This method of backing your labels also works for any label that you make yourself. Some people use used dryer sheets for the backs of labels but some don`t like the dryer sheet residue or are bothered by the scent so a roll of stabilizer may still be best.

freezeframe03 08-23-2010 03:50 AM

THANKS! Great idea to turn the edges of the label under by using interfacing and stitching and turning for a finished edge.

egagnon291 08-23-2010 04:06 AM

I handstitch a label to the bottom right hand corner of the quilt before I quilt. When I put the binding on I catch the right and bottom of the label in the binding. I don't use the purchased labels or panels. I use the lightest fabric from the front of the quilt and write the information in permanent marker.

Lynnejean 08-23-2010 06:59 AM

I use invisiable thread and machine stitch it on.

oldhag 08-23-2010 07:18 AM

I sign the quilt with a permanent marker on the backing in the spot that the label will go. I hand stitch the label on over top of my signature. I do this because if someone went to the trouble of removing the label then I still have an identifying mark on the quilt that can't be removed.