Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AQS Show in Albuquerque, January 2015 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aqs-show-albuquerque-january-2015-a-t258582.html)

collector49 12-22-2014 10:17 AM

AQS Show in Albuquerque, January 2015

Is anyone planning to go to this quilt show? Some of the members of our quilt guild are planning to go and are wondering what quilt shops, in the area, should we plan on to stop and see.

ManiacQuilter2 12-22-2014 01:59 PM

I am not familiar with that area but usually big shows will have a tour map of the local quilt shops.

NJ Quilter 12-22-2014 07:08 PM

Not going but there is a treasure trove of quilt shops in ABQ and surrounding areas. I want to think about 8-10 shops within about 30 minutes of the city. I haven't been to ABQ since 2011 but I did manage to make it to all the shops I could find when there. They were all wonderful. I'll try to dig through my messages and find the list I was given at the time. If anyone in your group is a hand quilter, one of the shops in particular had a fabulous selection of stencils that I've not seen anywhere else (so guess what I came home with!). All the shop personnel were wonderful and friendly to boot.

NJ Quilter 12-22-2014 07:30 PM

Here are some of the shops/towns I was given the last time I was there.

very small quilt shop in Tucumcari called the Desert Rose which is located on main street.

in Edgewood at The Busy Bee Quilt Shop. That is a very small quilt shop too but they have some nice things and the people who own it are very nice.

In Albuquerque there are several quilt shops
Quilts From the Heart on Tramway,
Quilt Works on Juan Tabo,
Quilts Ole in Corrales,
Southwest Mercantile on Paseo Del Norte headed east onto another street
little shop in Rio Rancho called Lady Bugs

Rio Ranch and Corrales are just outside of Albuquerque proper but easy to get to. It's a fairly spread out city (at least to me) if you've not been there before so hope you're renting a car. Also, if you have the time, try to make it a point to get to Old City (section of town) in downtown ABQ. Great food and wonderful art galleries.

Have a great time.

Daylesewblessed 12-23-2014 05:34 AM

It has been a few years since I lived in ABQ, but at the time each quilt shop had a map/directory to all of the shops in town as a handout. You can get really pretty southwestern style prints in ABQ and other NM shops.

cjr 12-23-2014 10:12 AM

My favorite is SW decoratives or Kopelli in NE area of Albq. Shop in Corrales is great also/ I was just there for balloon Fiesta. They were the only shops we had time to visit. Make sure you take timeto visit Indian Cultural Center on Rio Grande. Lots to do there. Take a couple of days to enjoy sights and sunshine.

NJ Quilter 12-23-2014 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by cjr (Post 7018887)
My favorite is SWGreat ecoratives or Kopelli in NE area of Albq. Shop in Corrales is great also/ I was just there for balloon Fiesta. They were the only shops we had time to visit. Make sure you take timeto visit Indian Cultural Center on Rio Grande. Lots to do there. Take a couple of days to enjoy sights and sunshine.

How did you like fiesta this year? Great times! And the arts & craft festival then is aewsome as well. Have gotten some great photo prints thee.