Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   AQS Show in Grand Rapids (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/aqs-show-grand-rapids-t193654.html)

QuiltMania 07-04-2012 07:03 PM

AQS Show in Grand Rapids

I just ordered my tickets. I've never been to a big quilt show before. Any tips from folks who have been to an AQS show before? I'm only going for a couple of days.

NikkiLu 07-04-2012 07:19 PM

Wear the most comfortable shoes that you have. I went to the Paducah show in April and saw a few people wearing these cute little blinking pins/lights - so asked somebody where they got them and they told me where to get one - given out at a booth promoting the Grand Rapids show.

mighty 07-04-2012 08:16 PM

Yes, comfortable shoes!!!! Enjoy!!!!!

JustAbitCrazy 07-04-2012 11:57 PM

You are going to love it! My tip is see the vendors first, quilts on display second. I always saw the quilts first, because that's the main reason I go, but have learned to get to all the vendors first (take money, girlgriend!) because otherwise they sell out of items you may have wanted to buy. There will be many things there to tempt you, because you will find so many things there which you can't get locally, if your area is like mine, with few lqshops. Also, if you are in the market for a machine, they are all ther to try out---have a list in mind of the features you want and really try all the machines which fit your needs. The dealers make great deals, especially on the last day of the show. Congratulations on getting to go, and have fun! You have enough time, I'd say. Two days is enough to thoroughly see/do everything, imho. More is nice, but two days is enough.

sandy l 07-05-2012 02:57 AM

The comfortable shoes is a must. I also take a large tote to put any purchases in. That way I'm not carrying seperate bags. And a small purse with a long cross-body strap for your wallet/credit cards. Enjoy the show:)

QuiltMania 07-05-2012 06:24 AM

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm looking forward to a couple of days to myself. I think I'll steer clear of the new machines because DH's head would explode if I came home with a new one. :) I'll make sure to bring a big tote. Lucky for me I'm staying at the hotel attached to the convention center so I can go to my room to offload and then buy more:)

AuntieD 07-05-2012 06:35 AM

Have a great time, take lots of photos to share with us.

Handcraftsbyjen 07-05-2012 07:48 AM

I'm going too! This will be my first time at AQS, but I've been to many other shows. Comfortable shoes and I like to bring a big fabric bag to put all of my stuff in. My favorite bags to take to shows and on shop hops is my Mondo Bag (pattern is by Quiltsmart). The bag is a breeze to make and I love it! Also bring cash and checks. Not all vendors take credit cards.

QuiltMania 07-05-2012 10:20 AM

I think DH would quake in fear if I brought the checkbook or the credit card :) I have a huge bag I use for grocery shopping that I could take.

Elainequilts 07-05-2012 10:53 AM

I second or third the shoes and lg tote.